Sore Throat Cure: Nobody can escape from sore throat in their lifespan. It’s something that causes discomfort and pain in swallowing food or cause you fell to scratch inside the throat region. Altogether the conditions do not allow the affected person to relax.
The condition may turn more complicated if ignored at first. However, sore throat is a common health condition that is often treated at home. So let us know what exactly causes throat infection.
It is also important to note down the proper sore throat medicines we can use to wipe out the discomfort. So here we go with the discussion.
What is Sore Throat:
Sore throat refers to the painful condition of the throat. The throat becomes swollen and dry. Besides, the affected person always feels an urge to scratch his throat.
A sore throat usually occurs by throat infection due to pharyngitis or tonsillitis, both can cause inflammation in the throat area. However, a sore throat can be defined as pain and inflammation in the throat region.
Sore Throat Causes:
There are a few common elements that we could not avoid during season changes and sore throat is one of them. We all know the reason when we feel an itching sensation in the throat along with pain, especially at the time of swallowing. This is the common beginning Yes, it causes due to a viral infection.
The virus causes sore throat which includes tonsillitis, strep throat, and mononucleosis. Also, the virus is responsible for common cold and flu and may cause sore throat.
1. Viral Infection:
- Common cold.
- Mononucleosis is caused by the Epstein Barr virus.
- Croup is an infection in the air passage.
2. Bacterial Infection:
Some bacterial infection that can cause sore throat is streptococcus progenies which are responsible for strep throat.
3. Other Causes:
Other causes of sore throat are:
- Throat muscle strain.
- Infection by any outside irritants.
- Digestive system disorder or GERD.
- HIV infection.
- Throat tumors.
4. Dry air:
Living in dry weather for a long time can absorb moisture from the mouth and make the throat dry. Lack of moisture also makes the throat scratchy. The air becomes dry in winter.
5. Outside irritants:
Other than bacteria and viruses some outside irritants may cause our throat to become inflamed and infected such irritants include—
- Smoke caused by tobacco or cigarettes.
- Environmental pollution.
- Cleaning equipment.
A sore throat may occur due to any small injury such as hit or cut in the neck area. It may cause pain while swallowing food.
Sometimes when our vocal cords or muscles get strained due to long or repeated use such as singing or talking loudly, the throat region may cause pain and scratch.
Sore Throat Symptoms:
Usually, each health issue starts with some specific signs and symptoms whether it is small or big. Sore throat is not an exception and the symptom varies from person to person.
The symptoms may vary to throat pain and fever to sore throat with no fever condition. The term sore throat means that due to some reason the throat gets infected and causing pain and irritation.
It hurts badly when the affected person tries to swallow food. Besides pain and irritation in the throat, other symptoms indicate a sore throat. The signs are:
- Fever or feeling chill.
- Cough and cold.
- Vomiting tendency.
- Lack of appetite.
- Headache and body ache.
- White patch in the throat.
- Swollen lymph nodes.
- Voice change.
- Frequent sneezing
What to do for Sore Throat?
Suffering from throat infection with burning, scratching feeling and pain is not a joke especially if accompanied by fever and other complications.
To get sore throat relief is the first and foremost things by using some over the counter sore throat medicine along with some common do’s and don’ts
- For sore throat cure do gargle with lukewarm water along with a little amount of salt in it.
- Drinking something hot like tea or chocolate milkshakes and others can reduce the inflammation.
- Clean up your tongue with your brush as it said that a clean tongue can reduce the soreness of the throat.
- Consume honey once in a day along with Tulsi leaves to get the best result.
- Do Taking steam showers.
- Try to give less strain to your throat.
- Try to consume warm lemon or ginger tea with honey to soothe the irritation.
- Don’t smoke.
- Avoid foods that are difficult to swallow.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Avoid dry snacks.
Treatment for Sore Throat:
Sore throat is nothing much complicated if treated properly at an early stage. It is an inflammation in the throat area. But the situation can get worse if ignored at first. There are many ways for a sore throat cure.
1. Home Remedies:
There are wide varieties of home remedies which are probably the best medicine for sore throat cure. These methods are in use for centuries to heal throat pain as it does not have any side effects. Moreover, it is cost-effective and acceptable to all.
If the throat infection is ignored at first then you will have to take in medicines like cough syrup, antibiotics, and others.
But you must have proper knowledge about antibiotics because some of them are not suitable for children and teenagers.
Therefore it is recommended to consult the doctor to get sore throat cure with medicines. The drugs which are common as sore throat medicine are:
- Cough syrups.
- Sore throat spray that contains cool menthol or numbing antiseptic to reduce the pain. It works directly to give relief on throat pain.
3. There are other ways to get relief of throat problem which is caused by GERD are:
- Tums, Maalox are some antacids that can reduce stomach acid.
- Zantac and other H2 blockers to reduce the production of stomach acid.
- There are also some homeopathic medicines like Belladonna 30 etc.
Among all the treatments we will discuss some home remedies to get instant relief at home.
ALSO READ: How to get rid of Swollen Tonsils Fast
Home Remedies of Sore Throat:
The most common remedy for sore throat is honey. This remedy is in use for centuries. As honey has anti-inflammatory properties it is regarded as the best remedy for sore throat. Honey can soothe any wound.
HOW TO USE:
- Take raw honey every morning right after you wake up.
- You can also consume it with your morning tea.
2. Baking soda gargle:
Gargling is the best method to reduce sore throat. But we generally use salt water for gargle. Only a few know that gargling with baking soda can also reduce inflammation in the throat.
HOW TO USE:
- Take baking soda along with lukewarm water.
- Gargle before going to sleep at night or right after waking up in the morning.
Garlic is another remedy for sore throat. Research study shows that garlic has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps our body to fight off a common cold virus.
HOW TO USE:
- Take raw garlic.
- Add it with your daily tea.
- Consume it every day until the inflammation reduces.
4. Apple cider vinegar:
It is also one of the most popular remedies for sore throat. For its acidic property, it helps to clear off the mucus in the throat area and fights bacterial infections. Thus it inhibits the infection to spread further.
HOW TO USE:
- Mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with one cup of lukewarm water.
- Gargle with it twice a day.
5. Fenugreek seed:
This seed has a wide variety of health benefits. One of them is reducing throat inflammation. It kills the bacteria and gives us relief from the pain in the throat area.
HOW TO USE:
- Just consume raw fenugreek seeds.
- You can also drink fenugreek tea.
6. Marshmallow root:
Marshmallow roots also play an important role in reducing sore throat. It contains a gelatine-like substance known as mucilage.
This gelatine like mucilage acts as a lubricant and coat the infected area. We can consume it by making tea with the roots to get instant comfort in throat pain.
Moreover; it has anti-inflammatory properties and effective to clear the mucus off your throat.
HOW TO USE:
- Take dried marshmallow roots.
- Add the roots with cold water and soak it overnight.
- Remove the roots and collect the water.
- Make tea with this and drink it daily to get the best result. You can use honey to make it tasty.
Another home remedy for sore throat is peppermint. It is mainly known for its anti-inflammatory properties and fresh breath. It contains menthol which helps to clear the mucus and calm the pain due to infection.
8. Chamomile Tea:
Chamomile is a well known medicinal herb and it has been used in Ayurveda for centuries to treat health problems. The easy method to consume chamomile is to make tea with dried flowers and take it as sore throat medicine.
This is not an ordinary tea which we consume daily, however it is the best tea for sore throat cure we can use at home.
It is a tea that is used to smooth the scratchy feeling of sore throat. It is due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. It also calms down the nerves.
HOW TO USE:
- Boil one and a half cups of water.
- Take the hot water in a cup.
- Add one teaspoon of dried chamomile flowers into the hot water
- Let it infuse for two to three minutes.
- Strain the tea into another cup and drink it warm.
Lemons are very much rich in Vitamin C and thus it helps to break the mucus in the throat area and it is very effective.
It also builds up our immune system to put resistance to this type of situation.
10. Cinnamon Almond milk:
This is a spice with anti-bacterial properties. It is a well-known ingredient to treat cough and cold for a long time.
Cinnamon along with almond is the best combination to get rid of throat problems and to ease sore throat pain.
HOW TO USE:
- Take ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- 1 cup of almond milk.
- Take ½ teaspoon of baking soda.
- Mix the cinnamon and baking soda.
- Then add almond milk.
- Heats the mixture and drink it.
- You can add honey to sweeten the taste.
11. Ginger Tea for Sore Throat:
Sore throat is nothing but a common problem that adults and children suffer from time to time. Viral, bacteria, smoke or irritants whatever the cause it, throat infection takes only a few days to cure with the help of traditional home remedies.
But as we all know that prevention is better than cure so individuals having allergies to dust and smoke should avoid then as much as possible. Not only that, but children under 15 having tonsil problems should also avoid cold drinks or ice creams during season changes.
However, warm things are always a good option for throat problems to reduce soreness and cough deposition.