How to get rid of toenail fungus fast at home? Nails reveal everything about your overall health. It creates a kind of first impression about your cleanliness and lifestyle also. So trimming your nails from time to time is mandatory.
But in some cases, trimming doesn’t work correctly if you get the habit of wearing tight shoes, same socks for days, or leave your toe in moist condition day by day.
All these may lead to toenail fungus infection. Though toenail fungus is not a glamorous subject to discuss but your little unawareness may turn your beautiful nails into a crapped ones with yellowish spots on them.
So what will you do then? Obviously you will seek medical help. But believe me, there are lots of easy home remedies that can help you get rid of toenail fungus.
Therefore to release your worriedness in such a situation, we are here with a detailed discussion about toenail fungus, its cause, symptoms, and the best home remedies you can afford. Stay with us to know more.
Your nails may need more care than that. Your carelessness can lead to fungal infections. This article will discuss how to get rid of toenail fungus fast at home? Let us check it—
What is Toenail Fungus?
Although fungi flourish in a warm and moist environment, fungal infection on the skin can affect sweaty and damp parts of the body that receive less airflow.
Such parts are feet, groin, and folds of new skin. Toenail fungus is also the same kind of fungus growth that gradually makes the nails change the normal color and become brittle and cracked.
In medical terms, such a condition is called Onychomycosis or Tinea unguium.
Facts about Toenail Fungus
- Toenail fungus infection is often caused by a common type of fungus known as a dermatophyte.
- Apart from fungi, yeast or molds can also cause nail infection.
- Toenail infection can occur at any age, but older adults have a high chance to grow them.
- It can affect any fingernail, but the toenail is the most common area to get the infection.
- Nobody is immune to toenail fungus by any means, but the chance of infection enhances with growing age.
- From the toenail, it can spread to the other part of the toe if it remains untreated.
- Injured Nails can affect by fungus.
What Causes Toenail Fungus?
The toenail may affect by fungus due to various reasons, and each of the reasons has a specific solution of its own.
Usually, most of the toenail fungus infection is curable, but certain risk factors increase the chance to develop such infection.
Basically, dermatophyte is the primary causative pathogens of toenail fungus, growing in moist areas.
So individuals are more likely to develop toenail fungus if they belong to the following category—
- Diabetic patients. Suffering from a disease that causes poor blood circulation.
- Aged people.
- People who used to wear artificial nails.
- Individuals have low immunity.
- Injury around the toenail.
- Staying with damp or moist toenail for an extended period.
- Individuals wearing tight shoes.
- In case the toenail develops any infection. This type of infection is familiar to those who used to swim in the public swimming pool.
- People who sweat heavily.
- The slow growth of the nail.
- People wear shoes and socks that prevent air from passing on.
- Previous history of fungal infection in the family.
- Have to stay or work in moist or damp weather for a long time.
Toenail Fungus Symptoms
Toenail fungus starts with a little common indication like swollen, redness, and soreness. But these symptoms are almost identical when you get a bruise on your toes or fingers.
So when you notice your toenail getting red spots to try to recall whether you have any wound there or not. If not, it is an indication of toenail fungus. So let us check the specific symptoms of fungal infection.
Discoloration is the first evidential sign of toenail fungus. Color changes may also happen if there is any wound under the toenail.
If you notice any shiny black spot on your toenail, be sure it is a bruise, not a fungal infection.
But if the spot is grey or yellowish and your nail is gradually losing its normal color, it is none other than a fungal infection.
Other than discoloration of the toenail, there is another sign indicating a fungal infection in that specific location. Such as—
- Thicken nail surface.
- Nails become brittle or ragged.
- Nail shape distorted.
- Affected toenails lost their natural shine ad become dull.
- Pain and bad smell when pus began to form.
Apart from the signs mentioned above, there may be additional signs that occur when your toenail gets infected. Such as—
• Due to inflammation or irritation to the nail, skin, or scales under the nail bed started to form. This is known as Hyperkeratosis.
• Dermatophyte, yeasts, or non-dermatophyte molds are the three types of fungi that can cause lateral Onychomycosis. You can notice a yellow or white stripe on the toenail.
- Yellow or grey spots may occur on the nail top. It is called proximal Onychomycosis.
- Infected toenail slowly detached from the nail bed.
How to get rid of Toenail Fungus Fast at Home
Check out these natural home remedies for how to get rid of nail fungus.
Cornmeal is flour made from dried maize, which is not very fine. It is more coarse than regular wheat flour.
Cornmeal is very popular for its use to banish black spots caused by a fungal infection, so it is estimated that cornmeal has some antifungal properties that help cure toenail fungus.
- Take 3 to 4 spoon of cornmeal or as per your requirement
- Add it slowly into warm water and stir well to make an even paste.
- Let it cool down and apply coat the affected nail and keep it for one hour.
- If you want to soak your feet in cornmeal solution using enough lukewarm water to make a liquid solution and dip your affected toenail for an hour.
2. Essential oil
These are the group of herbal oil that is widely used in aromatherapy. But apart from aromatherapy, essential oils can give wonder effect as far as other health issues.
In essential oils, the properties and flavor of mother flavor plant remain unmodified and original as they obtained through the process of distillation.
To treat toenail fungus, you can use several essential oils to get the best result.
Oil You Need
- Tea tree oil.
- Clove oil.
- Lemongrass oil.
- Cinnamon oil.
- Jasmine oil.
- Eucalyptus oil.
- Lemon oil.
- Oregano oil.
- Now take equal quantities of each essential oil in a container.
- Dilute them with a carrier oil or olive oil.
- Mix the oils well to make a solution.
- Apply a few drops on the affected nails.
- Wrap the nail with a soft bandage so that it can be absorbed completely.
This popular flavoring ingredient needs no introduction as humans have used it for both culinary and therapeutic purposes.
Garlic extract has potent antimicrobial and antifungal properties to cure toenail fungus.
- Please take a few cloves of garlic and chop them.
- Apply the crushed garlic on the affected toenail and cover it with a gauze bandage.
- Keep it for 30 minutes to one hour.
4. Snakeroot Extract
Snakeroot is a plant that belongs to the sunflower family, and it is a natural antifungal reagent.
It is widely used in homeopathic and ayurvedic medicines. It has chemicals such as reserpine, which is useful to lower high blood pressure.
- Collect snakeroot extract from an online shop.
- Apply the extract to the infected area.
- Repeat the process two to three times a week.
- This treatment could take 3 months to show results.
- Best remedy getting rid of toenail fungus naturally.
5. Epsom salt
How to get rid of toenail fungus fast with Epsom salt? it is the conventional name of magnesium sulfate. This is known as the Earth’s salt and has various usages in beauty, agriculture, and medicine.
If you are suffering from toenail fungus, Epsom salt foot bath can give your toenail relief from redness and soring.
- 2-3 cups of hot water.
- ½ cup of Epsom salt.
- ¼ cup of white vinegar.
- Mix well all the ingredients in a tub and soak your feet for half an hour.
- You can also add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil.
- After soaking your toenail for 30 minutes, clean it with normal water, and pat it dry.
6. Baking soda
How to get rid of toenail fungus fast with baking soda? Sodium bicarbonate, popularly known as baking soda which is being used in the kitchen for centuries for a different purpose.
Apart from culinary uses, it is also beneficial for health issues, including toenail fungus due to its antibacterial and antifungal nature.
Baking soda is also a potent exfoliator, and thus it can exfoliate the fungal infected skin surface.
Besides this, its alkaline nature help to create an acidic effect where fungus can hardly survive.
- To cure fungus infection on the toenail, you have to make a paste with baking soda and water.
- Add one teaspoon of baking soda with 2 to 3 drops of lukewarm water and mix well.
- Now apply this concoction with the help of a clean earbud to the nail. Please keep it for 30 minutes and wash with normal water.
- Repeat this treatment daily 2 to 3 times if you want a better result.
- You can also sprinkle dry baking soda on the affected area and cover it with a sock.
- Best treament getting rid of fungus toenails.
Soaking foot in Listerine solution is a way to treat toenail fungus and athlete foot at home.
Leistering is a popular mouthwash and helpful to kill bacteria. It contains a few beneficial compounds like menthol, eucalyptus oil, and thymol.
All these are antibacterial and antifungal in nature. So owing to all these properties, we can take a Listerine foot bath.
All the natural oils take an active part in fighting the fungus and ensure fast healing.
With the help of listerine we can get rid of fungus toes naturally.
8. Olive Leaf Extract
Another home remedy for toenail fungus is olive leaf extract. It contains oleuropein, which has both antifungal and antimicrobial properties.
The ointment made from this leaf is used to reduce infection over the toenail area.
There are also capsules of olive leaf extract to make up your immunity. But you must consult a doctor about this.
9. Ozonized Oils
Ozonated oil is nothing but oils containing ozone gas. This includes olive oil, sunflower oil, etc. Ozone gas helps in the delivery of oxygen to the affected areas.
This kills all the bacteria and microorganisms. Researches proved that it is effective over toenail fungus. So it must be noted that before you apply the oil, your foot must be dry.
10. Black Tea Treatment
Black tea is not a refreshing beverage; it is loaded with antioxidants and caffeine and a valuable part and parcel of beauty-related products.
To treat toenail fungus, soaking feet in the black tea solution is effective as it has tannic acid that helps kill bacteria. Moreover, it closes the skin pores and thus reduces sweat and helps to make the feet dry.
- Take adequate water to dip your feet and boil it in a container.
- Add 3 to 4 tea bags into it.
- Let the solution cool down and soak your affected nail for at least 30 minutes.
- Do this daily.
How to Prevent Toenail Fungus
Toenail fungus seems not such a serious issue. But it may damage your nail permanently, and it also may start other serious infections. So we must follow some tips to prevent it—
- Always wash your feet with soap and pat them dry. Do not leave moisture in between your fingers.
- The fungus is contagious, and it spreads in warm and wet places. So avoid going to public places like swimming pool, toilet barefoot.
- Try to change your diet and make yourself habituated with enough protein-enriched foods. Take foods or supplements that contain iron, calcium, and vitamin D. This will prevent brittle nails.
- Put a habit to wear clean socks and shoes. The fungus often grows in moist shoes.
- Do not allow your toenail to grow big. So trim your nails short.
- Use food gel or powder to keep your foot fresh and dry.
- If you have a previous history of toenail fungus, keep antifungal cream and use it once a week.
- Check your nails and feet daily if you have diabetes.
At the end of the article, we must say that toenail fungus may create some severeness in some person, especially who has high blood sugar.
So they must be careful enough while doing all the home remedies, and if they do not get a satisfactory result within a few days, they must consult medical professionals.
Do keep in mind that unless you find a new infection-free nail coming out, your treatment is not successful. So keep patience and follow the tips to prevent nail fungus and get beautiful nails.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this article on how to get rid of toenail fungus fast at home!
References from trusted source
- Clinical trial for evaluating the effectiveness and tolerability of Ageratina pichinchensis (Snakeroot Extract) extract on patients with mild to moderate onychomycosis
- Evaluation of the antifungal activity of olive leaf aqueous extracts against Candida albicans PTCC-5027
- The Use of Ozonized Oil in the Treatment of Dermatophitosis Caused by Microsporum Canis in Rabbits
- Antifungal Effects of Common Mouthwashes on Candida Strains
- Allium sativum Extract Chemical Composition, Antioxidant Activity and Antifungal Effect against Meyerozyma guilliermondii and Rhodotorula mucilaginosa Causing Onychomycosis