In every nook and corner, life gives us some twist, but when it appears as a health issue like ganglion cyst, your hard time starts. Now only a few of us know what actually ganglion is and how it does get inflamed to form a cyst unless they experience it. Now the question is ganglion cyst removal at home is possible?
Here we should know that most of the ganglion cysts are non-cancerous, but its appearance on open body parts may cause embarrassments and discomfort.
However, we can treat ganglion cyst removal at home with very easily available home ingredients. Before that, let us know some facts about ganglion cyst in detail.
What is a Ganglion?
The word ganglion refers to the peripheral nervous system, (1) which is the nervous system outside the spinal cord and the brain. A ganglion is a bundle of neuron cell bodies situated in the peripheral nervous system.
There are numerous ganglions present in our nervous system which are linked with the help of synapses.
A synapse is a special formation that helps in the passage of chemical or electrical signals between ganglions. There is a connective tissue capsule surrounding each ganglion.
What is Ganglion Cyst?
As we said earlier that Ganglion involves several neuron cell bodies in our peripheral nervous system. Ganglia are made up of somatic and dendrite, which are extended nerve cell structure.
They help to interconnect the tissues to carry on electrochemical stimulation from one cell to another. (2)
Ganglion works as a relay point and it maintains a connection between nerves and other parts regarding the nervous system.
A ganglion provides a connection between the peripheral and central nervous systems.
A ganglion cyst is a small bump (3)that is filled with fluid and most commonly associated with joints. There is a thick jelly-like sticky colorless substance inside the sac which may be spongy or hard from outside.
Now let us clarify a few facts on ganglion cyst-
- Ganglion cysts are small and non-cancerous.
- Usually, ganglion cysts are formed on the joints of the body such as the wrist, knee joints, ankle, etc.
- From outside they look like lumps under the skin.
- Commonly bible cyst or ganglion cysts occur along with the tendons or wrist joints. At the same time, they can also grow on the ankle and feet joints.
- A ganglion cyst is small in size (similar to a pea) while the big size cyst can develop with a diameter of 5 centimeters.
- It occurs or affect male or female who is 15 to 45 years old have more chance to
- Usually, ganglion cysts are painless but sometimes it can cause pain if they press any nearest nerve. So their location can cause difficulties in the joint movement.
Where do we find Ganglion Cyst?
Usually, the ganglion cyst grows around the dorsum of the wrist and on the finger joints. However, a ganglion cyst may also develop in the foot.
Although wrist joint and ankle joints are the most commonplace to grow ganglion cyst. it can also appear in other body joints.
The name of ganglion cyst changes according to the place where it forms. Let us clarify any types of ganglion cyst according to their growth place.
1. Dorsal Wrist Ganglion Cyst
If any cyst grows on the top of the wrist it is called a dorsal wrist ganglion cyst.
2. Volar Wrist Ganglion Cyst
Similarly, when the palm side of the wrist develops a ganglion cyst it is called a volar wrist ganglion cyst. (4) The radial artery of the wrist is the common place where it develops.
The volar cyst may grow if any physical injury causes a small tear in the volar joint capsule of the wrist.
Due to trauma the fluid breakout and our body construct a shell around the fluid. Thus it shapes a cyst in the area.
3. Ganglion Cyst in Ankle
Ganglion cyst may bulge out in any joint area. Just like a bubble coming out from a stalk.
This type of benign tumor may grow on the foot joint or tendon just like it develops in other parts of the body. Let us go through the symptom if ankle ganglion cyst—
a). A small bump which rose on the joints or tendons of the ankle or toes is known as an ankle or feet ganglion cyst.
c). Most of the ankle ganglion is painless but sometimes pain can occur if the affected joint makes any movement.
d). Ankle ganglion cyst may change with time in size. When the joints are active and making and making movement and reduce in size.
e). Ganglion cysts in the ankle may appear suddenly and also it may disappear on its own.
4). Ganglion Cyst on Finger
The non-cancerous ganglion cyst commonly originates in several body joints and finger joints are no expectation.
Usually, it develops at the end joint of a finger and the base of any finger. The cyst varies in shape and size and grows in size with finger joint activity.
Let’s take a closer look at the causes, signs and symptoms, ganglion cyst removal at home very simple solutions that you can do yourself.
Causes of Ganglion Cyst
According to medical science, there is no exact cause of developing ganglion cysts. However, there are many underlying that have come out as an individual cause. Let us explain the causes-
If the tissue of the joints breaks down due to any trauma, it forms a small cyst-like form.
Ganglion cyst may develop if the tissue wall of the joints and tendons gets inflammated. The inflammation may occur due to some local injury or arthritis. (5)
Another probable cause of ganglion cyst is a small tear in the tissue that covers body joints or tendon.
Due to herniation the tissue swells and develops a sac. Fluid coming out from the joints fills the sac.
Signs and Symptoms of Ganglion Cyst
It’s not difficult to spot a ganglion cyst. But for your good, you must know the signs and symptoms of it. Here are the signs and symptoms of ganglion cyst—
The most common symptom of a ganglion cyst is pain. You will feel pain in the affected area. But from the pain, you can’t understand its a ganglion cyst or not. As pain occurs due to many reasons.
b). Tingling Sensation
Another symptom of ganglion cysts is a tingling sensation. If you have ganglion cysts then you will a pin and needle sensation over the affected area. This sensation will stay until your cyst is completely cured.
c). Muscle weakness
If the lump is painful and arching. Then if you try to move your nearby joints it will worsen the situation and your surrounding muscles will become weak.
Ganglion Cyst Removal at Home
This kind of cyst does not require any treatment as there is no pain or other complexities. But in some cases, it causes pain and discomfort in joint movement.
Those cysts sometimes need surgical removal by any professional. But before that, we can try some effective home remedies to get relief from the beginning.
1. Tea Tree Oil
The first and the foremost home remedy for a ganglion cyst is tea tree oil. It’s nothing but the oil extracted from Melaleuca alternifolia or tea tree.
Scientific researches proved that it has antimicrobial properties. This helps to kill the bacteria that form ganglion cyst.
How to use
- Take one cup of hot water.
- Take dilute solution of tea tree oil.
- Mix the two.
- Then finally apply the mixture over the affected area for 2 or 3 times a day with a clean piece of cloth.
2. Aloe Vera
The most common home remedy for a ganglion cyst is aloe vera. It contains the two most important properties for bacterial infection i.e. anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. It reduces the pain and irritation of the cyst area real quick. (6)
How to use
- You can buy aloe vera gel from the online or local market and apply it to the affected area.
- You can also extract it from aloe vera plant if you have one.
3. Castor Oil
It has an antimicrobial property that helps in cyst prevention.
One thing must be kept in mind that castor oil can only cure the cysts formed by bacteria, not the other types.
How to use
- Buy pure castor oil from the market.
- Take one or 2 drop of oil in your hand.
- Apply on the affected area twice to get the best result.
4. Apple cider vinegar
We all know that apple cider vinegar is used as a home remedy in most cases. It contains acetic acid which is an antimicrobial element, so it helps in the reduction of ganglion cysts produced by bacteria.
How to use
- Take an equal amount of apple cider vinegar and water.
- Mix the two well.
- Apply that dilute solution to the cyst area several times a day.
5. Ganglion cyst removal at home with Hot Compress
Heating the cyst area can shrink it and give you relief from the pain. If the cyst is liquid-filled then heat compress is the best remedy for this. (7)
How to use
- Heat clean water to lukewarm water.
- Wait until the water is enough to cool for the skin to tolerate.
- Immerse a clean cloth into the water
- Apply it on the affected area for many times a day.
6. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is a common remedy for acne. It’s a tropical wash. It has both astringent and anti-inflammatory properties. So this property helps to reduce the pain and also shrink the cyst.
How to use
- Immerse a cotton ball into the witch hazel.
- Apply on the affected area.
- Use twice to get the best result.
The most common home remedy for a ganglion cyst removal at home is honey. It’s both antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory helps to cure the cysts produced by bacteria.
How to use
- Apply a dab of pure honey over the affected area.
- Let the honey stay on the area for a limited time
- Wash off the honey; apply it again to get the best result.
8. K tape
This useful k tape can help you to get rid of the ganglion cyst. All you have to do is to apply the tape over the area and leave it for 2 to 3 days to get the perfect outcome.
How to use
- Bend your joint which is affected.’
- Stick the tape on the area.
- Wear it for at least 3 days.
9. Lemongrass Oil
Lemongrass oil works as a pain-relieving agent and it has anti-inflammatory properties too. On applying topically it may help to drain out the fluid from the cyst and reduce pain.
How to use
- Take 3 to 4 drops of lemongrass oil and add it with one teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Mix it well and apply it to the affected joints.
- Leave it for 30 to 40 minutes and then wash off.
- Repeat the process at least two times daily.
✓ Do not rub or pinch it with sharp objects if the cyst is on your foot or ankle.
✓ Wearing a soft and open type of shoes may help.
✓ The cyst remains small if the joint makes less movement. So wearing a brace can help to limit your joint movement.
✓ Use over the counter medicine to get relief of pain.
✓ Drink enough water and follow a nutritious diet chart.
✓ The affected joints must not make much movement as immobility of joints will help to reduce the cyst in size.
In conclusion, we can say that don’t get panicked if you notice any cyst in your wrist or ankle joint.
You can leave it untreated if there is no pain, but if the cyst creates any discomfort in joint movement, medical help or ganglion cyst removal at home can help you. Ganglion cyst disappears by itself, so there is nothing to worry about.