Mother Nature has gifted many powerful herbs, medicinal plants, and trees. Some of these medicinal plant varieties have been used for several centuries.
One of the most praised plants for its abundant health benefits is moringa. Even scientists have researched, investigated, and declared the health benefits of moringa.
Moringa Oleifera has multiple health benefits. It is gaining more and more popularity in the recent days as a ‘superfood.’ What is moringa good for? Well, the list of benefits you derive from moringa can be long.
Moringa Leaves Benefits
Here is the list of 10 powerful benefits of drinking moringa and moringa leaves uses.
1. Packed with Nutrients
If you have a moringa tree in your home, you can quickly get adequate nutrients. Moringa leaves are packed with nutrients.
It makes an excellent source of calcium, minerals, micro-nutrients, and vitamins. Especially, it is one of the richest sources of iron.
- 50 grams of moringa leaves contain 8 X more calcium than milk and 12 times more iron than spinach.
- The beta carotene properties are 10X more than when you get from carrots.
- It contains zinc, potassium, and Vitamin B.
- It also contains a higher amount of proteins than eggs. A cup of moringa has 4X more protein than an egg. It makes the complete protein due to the presence of amino acids. So, if you have the question, what is moringa good for, this is the answer. Moringa is for its nutritional values.
2. Rich Source of Antioxidants
Most of the medicinal plants and herbs, fresh fruits, and vegetables contain antioxidants.
Moringa is one of the good sources of antioxidants. Antioxidants help to fight against free radicals. It delays the aging process.
Oxidative damage not only happens externally but also affects the organs. Drinking moringa every day helps to reduce and regulate the oxidative stress to various organs.
3. Helps Lowering Blood Sugar Level
Moringa leaves to benefit diabetic patients on many levels. Packed with nutrients, it gives you all essential nutrients and improves your metabolism.
Moringa reduces the lipid levels and blood glucose levels upon regular consumption. It stimulates the secretion of enzymes.
It also regulates the oxidative stress that damaged the pancreas (responsible for controlling blood sugar). Eventually, it reduces blood sugar.
4. Strengthens the Bones
As stated above, moringa is one of the richest sources of calcium. Calcium is the core nutrient required for healthy bones.
Bone health tends to deteriorate in the 30s. In the past few years, many new health conditions piled up, associated with poor bone health.
For instance, osteoporosis – porous bones; bone degeneration; severe back pain (associated with weak bones); knee and joint pain; etc.
Regular intake of moringa every day can improve your bone health in a short period.
5. Boosts your Immunity
One of the important moringa leaves benefits includes immunity boosting ability. If you regularly have moringa leaves or moringa powder in your diet, your immune system becomes strong.
You no longer fall prey to seasonal illness, allergies, and infections. It served as a lifesaver in thousands of people who had little to no medical facilities.
As a part of treatment in HIV positive patients, moringa leaves gained an important place. It is used as a herbal supplement in the therapies.
6. Moringa is an Anti-Cancer Ingredient
Isn’t it impressive to know that moringa has anti-cancer properties? This specific benefit of drinking moringa everyday acts as a collective of all benefits and nutritional properties.
- The ability to fight against free radicals keeps the cells and tissues healthy.
- It prevents cellular level damage due to free radicals, which indicates the growth of cancer cells.
- It contains antioxidants like kaempferol, rhamnetin, Quercetin, etc., which keep the cells and tissues healthy, free from oxidation.
- It detoxifies the body and strengthens immunity.
7. Protects your Liver
One of the most powerful benefits of drinking moringa every day is the protection of your liver health! The liver is one of the essential organs responsible for many vital functions. The liver is responsible for bile, metabolizing fat, process nutrients, etc.
Moringa contains a high proportion of polyphenols in leaves, flowers, and even the seeds. It slowly eliminates toxins and oxidation damage to the liver.
What is Moringa Good for?
- Reduces liver damage
- Reverses the liver oxidation
- Enhance the protein in the liver
- Stimulate liver enzymes
- Support blood detoxification
8. Moringa Boosts Brain Health
The antioxidant ability of the moringa leaves benefits your brain health. It supports the healthy functioning of your brain and enhances cognitive function.
It also contains neuro-enhancing activities. Currently, moringa leaves affect treating Alzheimer’s, and many scientists undertake other brain dysfunctional conditions.
As a promising note, moringa has been proven to show favorable results in the preliminary research addressing Alzheimer’s.
- Prevents neuron degeneration
- Improves brain function
- Keeps you active
- Stabilize the neurotransmitters
- It helps secretion and normalizing healthy hormones
- Support good memory
- Boost your mental health
9. Moringa for Weightloss
The magical remedy to lose weight. One of the significant benefits of drinking moringa every day is weight loss. Half of the world’s population struggles to lose weight.
There are thousands of supplements, hundreds of diets, and a massive market for weight loss population. Losing weight does not happen in a day.
Moringa doesn’t have any miraculous fat-burning ability or slimming down properties. The combined nutritional properties of moringa leaves help you shed down weight quickly without any side effects.
- The anti-inflammatory effect reduces the swelling in and out
- The diuretic properties eliminate excess water and prevent water retention
- Insulin regulation helps the prevention of fat accumulation
- Strong liver support enables fat metabolism
- High fiber reduces fat accumulation in the gut
- It helps to treat constipation
10. Reduces and Eliminates Inflammation
Inflammation happens in two ways. It is the immunity’s response to any injury or infection, and It is a protective mechanism.
On the other hand, inflammation grows as an indication of a prolonged health issue. Sustained inflammation leads to chronic health issues.
Moringa has anti-inflammatory compounds. Scientists have proven the fact that moringa leaves contain isothiocyanates, one of the significant anti-inflammatory compounds.
In search of what moringa is good for, it effectively reduces the inflammation caused by arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.
In addition to the above mentioned 10 powerful benefits of drinking moringa every day, moringa is also suitable for hair growth and healthy skin. It supports the secretion of breastmilk in pregnant women.
How to Use Moringa Leaves
We have seen the moringa leaf powder benefits. Here is a brief outlook on how to use moringa.
You can use moringa in two ways, moringa powder drink and moringa leaves.
Many cultures used moringa leaves for their medicinal and health benefits. It takes quite some time to cook the leaves in the form of stirfry, leaves boiled with lentils, etc.
Moringa powder is available in abundance. To get all the moringa leaves benefits, it is ideal to use moringa as a drink every day.
Be sure to read: Moringa Ginger and Lemon Tea Benefits
How to use Moringa Powder?
You can make a cup of delicious tea, which energizes you. Here is the recipe for a moringa drink.
- Add 1 teaspoon moringa powder to a cup of hot water
- Squeeze half a lemon and mix well
- If you have a sweet tooth, add honey
- If you do not want a sweet drink, add salt and pepper, and drink it warm.
It is easy to make this moringa drink every morning. You can drink this twice a day.
Also, you can always add a tablespoon of moringa powder to vegetable soup. It doesn’t alter the taste but enhances the health benefits.
Moringa leaves powder does not change the taste. So, you can add this into juices and broths for an extra dose of nutrients.