Looking for litchi fruit benefits and side effects? Litchis are tantalizing fruits of the sub-tropical regions. The fruit has a round shape with pinkish skin and white flesh. It is delicious and filled with numerous nutrients that can be advantageous for your skin, hair, and overall health.
The benefits of Litchi Fruit have been tested and proven in many countries, including China and India. The fruit can fight many diseases and be an effective treatment for hair and skincare.
In this Article
- Nutritional Value of Litchi
- Litchi Fruit Benefits and Side Effects
- Litchi Fruit Side Effects
- Litchi Fruit side effects During pregnancy
- Litchi fruit How to Eat
Nutritional Value of Litchi
One cup (100gm) of litchi contains-
- Calories- 65
- Total fat- 0.5gm
- Dietary Fiber-1.3gm
- Protein- 0.8gm
- Total carbohydrates- 16gm
- Potassium- 171mg
- Sugar- 15g
- Sodium- 1mg
- Calcium- 5mg
- Iron- 0.3mg
This was just a small brief of the nutritional value of Litchis. Here are litchi fruit benefits and side effects that are going to surprise you
Litchi Fruit Benefits and Side Effects
Here are some of the benefits that you may find useful-
1. Anti-aging Properties
It is pretty normal to get signs of aging with the growing age. However, you can delay these signs with certain kinds of foods.
One of such foods is Litchi; with a high anti-oxidant level, this fruit protects your skin from free radicals and UV damage.
You can start consuming Litchis every day and also start applying them topically.
2. Promotes Hair Growth
If you are looking for a natural alternative to promote new hair growth, then Litchi is the answer to your problem.
The copper content in Litchi stimulates the hair follicles and helps in healthy hair growth. With so many nutrients in the fruit, your hair gets shinier and stronger.
3. Has Anti-Cancer Effects
The powerful antioxidants and flavonoids in Litchis have the potential to stop the cancerous cells from growing.
The polyphenolic compounds and proanthocyanidins found in Litchis are considered more potent than vitamin C, which can fight off the free radicals.
You can include the fruit or its juice in your daily diet to prevent the occurrence of this deadly disease.
4. Aids in Weight Loss
First of all, Litchis have almost negligible calories, and secondly, they contain a lot of water. So if you have been trying to lose some extra pounds, start eating this fruit every day.
Also, as there is a lot of fiber in this fruit, it makes you feel fuller for longer, taming your food cravings.
5. Improves Digestion
Do you face indigestion issues continuously? Then, try some Litchis for a few days, and you will observe a difference.
The high fiber content in Litchis helps ease bowel movement and improve digestion.
These fibers also stimulate the release of digestive enzymes, which are helpful in better absorption of nutrients from the food.
Also, as Litchi are abundant in water, they help you by soothing the stomach.
6. Regulate Blood Circulation
Litchis are rich in copper, which is necessary for creating red blood cells in the body.
The higher level of red blood cells ensures better blood circulation throughout the body. As blood carries oxygen to all the organs, better circulation ensures the overall healthy functioning of the body.
7. Boots Bone Strength
The copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and other nutrients in this delicious fruit increase calcium absorption in the bones, making them healthier and stronger.
8. Prevent Anaemia
The iron and copper in litchis can help increase the red blood cell count in the body. As anemia results from low hemoglobin levels in the body, this can be avoided by regular consumption of litchis.
RELATED: 10 Best Home Remedies for Anemia
9. Gives Instant Energy
Have a freshly extracted glass of litchi juice in the morning to feel active throughout the day.
Litchis are rich in vitamin C, which serves essential functions in the body, such as the production of collagen and carnitine, which are needed to breakdown fat that provides instant energy.
10. Prevents Loss of Vision
With aging, people can develop a cataract. This can be avoided by consuming litchis because the phytochemicals in this fruit prevent the abnormal growth of cells, which eventually inhibits cataracts.
ALSO READ: Top 10 Bad Habits that Ruin Your Eyesight
11. Acts as Immunity Booster
Vitamin C in litchis helps in boosting the white blood cells, which are vital for the natural defense system of the body and protection against pathogens.
12. Litchi fruit Benefits for Diabetes
There is growing evidence that litchi fruit can benefit people with diabetes. The fruit is high in sugar and has a low glycemic index, which means it slowly releases sugar into the bloodstream. This is good news for people with type 2 diabetes, as it means that the fruit won’t spike their blood sugar levels and cause them to feel sick.
It is a good source of fiber which can help to regulate blood sugar levels. Additionally, litchi fruit is a rich source of antioxidants which can help to protect the body against oxidative damage. It also contains polyphenols which have anti-diabetic properties.
13. Litchi fruit benefits for skin
Litchi fruit is known for its skin benefits. Some of the skin benefits of litchi fruit include: reducing the appearance of wrinkles, reducing the size of pores, improving skin texture, and fighting acne.
It also helps to lighten skin color and improve tone and complexion.
One study showed that litchi fruit reduced the severity of acne and helped to improve the skin’s barrier function. Additionally, litchi fruit is a rich source of antioxidants and vitamins A and C, which are beneficial for the skin.
It also contains a type of fiber known as beta-glucan that helps to detoxify the skin. In short, litchi fruit is a nutrient-dense fruit that can be enjoyed for its numerous skin-healthy benefits!
Additional Litchi Fruit Benefits
- Litchis normalize blood pressure, protecting you from heart strokes and other cardiovascular diseases.
- The fruit nourishes the skin oils to reduce the development of acne and reduces dark spots.
- Litchis are effective against Influenza, which is caused by viruses.
- Healthy hair can be achieved by a healthy scalp only, and for that, you need good blood circulation.
- Vitamin C in litchis ensures the proper flow of blood to the scalp and minimizes the risk of infections.
- The essential components in litchis can stimulate libido in men and women.
- You might be getting sunburn quite often, which can sometimes get painful. Litchis have oligonol, which is high in anti-oxidants that accelerate faster healing of the skin. You can rub some litchis on the affected parts a few times to see good results.
- Litchis can help in strengthening the blood vessels, which controls abnormal bruising.
- The flavonoids in litchis have anti-inflammatory properties, which can be effective in treating inflammation and tissue damage
Litchi Fruit Side Effects
- Lychee fruit generally poses no health risks when consumed in moderation.
- The most common litchi fruit disadvantages is an upset stomach. This is likely due to the high level of sugar and acidity in the fruit.
- Lychee fruit can cause diarrhea and constipation. Some people also experience dizziness, headache, and fever.
- However, in rare cases, lychee fruit can also cause more serious side effects such as seizures, heart palpitations.
- Even though this fruit is miraculously nutrition-rich, as it has high sugar content, people who have diabetes should not take it too much.
- It is advised to take this litchis fruit in moderation because overuse can result in hormonal imbalance. Also, expecting women to avoid eating litchis can be harmful to the baby.
Litchi Fruit side effects During pregnancy
If you are pregnant, you should avoid consuming litchi fruit because there is limited research on its safety. pregnant women may be at an increased risk of miscarriage if they consume litchi fruit.
Additionally, there is a small risk of developing a congenital disability if the mother consumes large amounts of litchi fruit during pregnancy. Therefore, it is essential to speak to your doctor before consuming litchi fruit if you are pregnant.
There are a few potential side effects that you should be aware of, including: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.
If you experience any of these side effects of litchi fruit in pregnancy, it is best to consult a doctor as soon as possible.
Litchi fruit How to Eat
The best way to eat litchi fruit is to eat it fresh. You can either eat it alone or mix it with other fruits or vegetables. It is also delicious when cooked in various ways, including a side dish, dessert, or even a fruit salad. Ensure litchi fruit is stored in a cool, dry place to preserve its nutritional value.
Here are a few easy recipes you can try:
Litchi Fruit and Yogurt Smoothie: Combine 1 cup of litchi fruit, 1 cup of low-fat yoghurt, and 1 cup of ice in a blender and blend until smooth.
Litchi Fruit and Orange Salad: Cut 1 orange into bite-sized pieces, and mix with 1 cup of diced litchi fruit in a salad bowl.
Litchi Fruit Granola: Combine 2 cups of rolled oats, 1/2 cup of chopped almonds, 1/2 cup of chopped dried apricots, 1/4 cup of chopped candied ginger, 1/4 cup of flaxseed, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 1/4 cup of litchi fruit in a large bowl. Stir until well mixed.
How many lychees in 100g
There is no definitive answer, as the number of lychees in 100g will vary depending on the type of lychee. That being said, a healthy serving of lychees would likely contain anywhere from 10-15 lychees.
As litchis do not have a long shelf life, be cautious while picking up the fruit and try to consume it while it is fresh instead of refrigerating it. I hope this post on litchi fruit benefits and side effects will be helpful for you.
Try some tasty recipes with these fruits, and let us know which one is your favorite in the comment section.
- Nutrient components, health benefits, and safety of litchi– pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- Litchi Flavonoids: Isolation, Identification and Biological Activity– Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- An overview of litchi functional activities and compounds– Researchgate.net/