Looking for how to stop leg cramps immediately home remedies? Sleeping is not comfortable if you suffer from a leg cramp every night. Waking up at midnight with stiffness and pain in the leg, especially in the calf area, is miserable. This is something that you could not even guess when you went to bed as usual.
So whoever battling with such discomforts must have tried every possible way to get rid of seized leg somehow. Stretching the leg by force may give you temporary relief, but that’s not enough.
So to find out a permanent solution to leg cramps, you must go through this article. To know more about how to stop leg cramps immediately home remedies , it’s necessary to understand the cause; only then you can uproot it.
There will be more information about nocturnal leg cramps and home remedies. So, I am sure you will reward a pain-free sleep at night.
In this Article
- What is Leg Cramp
- Causes of Leg Cramp
- What is Nocturnal Leg Cramps
- How to stop leg cramps home remedies
- How do I prevent leg cramps at night
What is Leg Cramp
The term cramp is associated with a sudden contraction of muscles. Although muscle cramp can happen to any muscle of the body, it is most common in the leg. Leg cramps are usually harmless, but if the stiff muscles do not relax within a few minutes, they may become severely painful. Here are a few facts about leg cramps.
- Leg cramp condition occurs due to involuntary contraction of leg muscles, mainly in the calf area.
- During leg cramp, it feels like a knot in the leg, and it inhibits temporary mobility.
- It can happen to anyone.
- Leg cramps at night are common during physical exercise or at night.
- Leg cramp lasts only for a few seconds, and immediate relief is possible with the forcible stretching of the leg.
Causes of Leg Cramp
Leg cramps happen without a forecast to anyone, especially those who usually do weight training and other activities involving leg work. Also, it can happen while you are walking down the street or sitting in front of the desktop.
It starts with sudden discomforts in the leg muscles and makes you feel like a knot inside the leg muscles. This knot is the hard lump formed by the cramped muscles, and it’s hard to move or stretch the leg.
Usually, leg muscles cramp happens when it does not signal to relax. There is a variety of reason that obstructs the signal and causes the legs to cramp. Let us check.
Our lifestyle and daily activities often influence leg cramps at night. The activities may include occasional heavy exercise, such as—
- Recreational exercise.
- Weight exercise for leg muscles.
- Basketball or soccer type sports that need lots of leg work.
2. Extreme Exhaustion of Muscles
Overwork or excessive fatigue causes the muscles not to absorb the essential nutrients. Hence they could not relax after a heavy workload or weight training.
So leg cramps may happen in such conditions, especially to sportsmen or bodybuilders.
3. Obstruction In Blood Circulation
Inadequate blood supply to the leg area is one of the most vital causes of leg cramps and pain. Narrowing the arteries responsible for blood circulation in the leg may cause cramps while you are doing any exercise or leg work.
4. Insufficient Fluid or Dehydration
Our body muscles need enough fluid for contraction and relaxation. So a lack of water can cause leg cramps, especially after exercising in hot weather.
5. Sodium Potassium Imbalance
When electrolytes, such as sodium and potassium become low, it affects our brain. As a result, the muscles can’t access the proper signal from the brain to relax.
Our body also drains out electrolytes while we are sweating through perspiration. This can also lead to a leg cramp.
What is Nocturnal Leg Cramps
The painful sensation in the leg calves, soles of the feet during the night is known as a nocturnal leg cramp. This happens due to involuntary muscles contraction.
They usually occur in between periods of sleep and cause waking. It can also happen during the night while awake and away from any activity.
A nocturnal leg cramp is quite painful. Usually, it happens to calf muscles, but it can also occur in the thigh muscles or feet. The affected person may feel severe pain, stiffness, and a muscle knot. Nocturnal leg cramps can affect those who are:
- Aged person.
- Pregnant women.
- Those who are using a specific medicine.
What is cause of night Leg cramps
- To sit in the same position for long hours.
- Over workload with muscles.
- Standing on a concrete floor for hours.
- Improper body position while sleeping.
How to Stop Leg Cramps Immediately Home remedies
Treating leg cramps at home is easy if where the cause is known. Most of the time, stretching the leg muscles restores the normal position of the leg. To get rid of a nocturnal leg cramp, standing up or walking around is helpful.
But whatever the reason, here is how to get rid of leg cramps at night Let us check:
Exercise is the first and foremost step to smooth the knotted muscles lumps. It gives immediate relief. There are mainly two types of exercises anyone can practice, such as—
A):-Leg exercise during leg cramp
- During leg cramp in calf muscles, stretch and massage the stiff area.
- Try to keep the affected leg in a straight position.
- Slowly lift your leg in an upward direction.
- To get quick relief, walk on heels on the floor.
B):-Exercises to reduce the chances of leg cramp:
This exercise can prevent leg cramps at night from reoccurring. All you have to do is—
- Stand on your feet at a one-meter distance from a wall.
- Now keep your legs apart and bend your body. Keep the front legs slightly turning from the knee and back leg straight. The heels must touch the floor.
- Place your forearms on the wall. Stretch your body in an angular position against the wall.
- You should try this when you have no cramp episode.
2. Use of Apple Cider Vinegar
Muscles can function well with enough Acetylcholine in our body. It is the type of chemical that is released by the nerve cell. It helps the muscles to contract and relax easily.
Apple cider vinegar has acetic acid, which helps our body make acetylcholine. It is a neurotransmitter, and it boosts muscle function.
How to take
- Take two teaspoonfuls of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix four to five drops of honey.
- Drink it at least twice a day.
3. Mustard seed for leg cramps
These tiny seeds are full of nutrients for a healthy body. Mustard seed has calcium, zinc, iron, omega 3 fatty acid, and this has been a well-known home remedy for muscle cramps for years.
According to folk medicine, mustard seeds have heat-producing properties, and it helps to stimulate damaged nerves. Apart from this, the mustard seed is useful to hydrate our body, and its anti-inflammatory nature reduces the muscles pain during a cramp.
How to Use
- During leg cramp gets instant relief with Eating 1 tbsp of yellow mustard seeds powder or applying mustard seed oil is found to be relaxing during that time.
- Eat a teaspoon of mustard seeds powder with water every night. The seeds can be powdered and stored in a container.
What’s in mustard that helps Leg cramps?
The mustard help with cramps because the condiment includes acetic acid (in vinegar), which stimulates the body to manufacture more acetylcholine.
Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter that causes muscles to contract. Mustard is similarly high in magnesium. Calcium is released into the muscles when we tense them. Magnesium counteracts the effects of calcium, minimizing muscular cramps.
4. Pickle Juice for leg Cramps
To get rid of leg cramp cucumber using pickle juice is an old therapy. It’s a popular way to treat muscle cramps for athletes. Drinking pickle juice also prevents leg cramps at night from occurring frequently. Let us see how it works.
- Pickled cucumber is fermented in brine solutions. It is a highly concentrated solution of salt and water.
- Vinegar is also used to complete the fermentation.
- The excess salt in the pickle juice helps reduce dehydration which is a common reason behind leg cramps.
- Also, sodium, potassium present in the pickle helps to recover the perfect balance of electrolytes in our body.
Pickle Juice Recipe for Leg Cramps
- 2 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 1/4 cup pickling salt
- 3 tablespoons mustard seed
Mix the vinegar, salt and mustard seeds in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Strain through cheesecloth or coffee filters into bottles, squeezing out all of the liquid.
Store in refrigerator. This mixture can be stored indefinitely as long as it remains refrigerated, but it should be used within six months after opening.
How to consume
- It’s beneficial to take a shot of pickle juice once a day.
Cinnamon is loaded with components that have therapeutic properties. It contains antioxidants. Cinnamon reduces inflammation, and it shows beneficial effects on neurodegenerative diseases.
During leg cramps applying cinnamon paste tropically may relax the muscle sufferings.
How to use
- Take two teaspoons full of cinnamon powder.
- To make a paste add water to it and mix well. The consistency of the mixture must be thick.
- Apply this ointment to the affected muscles.
Turmeric is considered the golden spice, as it has medicinal and religious significance. Turmeric consists of curcumin, the most active compound to prevent various ailments.
Curcumin is a potent anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant agent that cures muscles cramp and pain.
How to use
- Take one tablespoon of turmeric.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Stir it well to form a paste.
- Apply this in the painful area.
- Keep for half an hour.
Dehydration or lack of water is one of the significant causes of leg cramps. Water is one of the valuable things our body needs to run all the system. Our body, cells and organs depend on a lot of water.
Our tissues and muscles need the water to maintain the temperature and regulate body functions. We lose water during sweating, breathing, digesting. So it is essential to keep the body hydrated all the time.
Drinking water during exercise is useful as it prevents muscle cramping. Water also lubricates our joints and makes muscles stronger. It carries oxygen and other electrolytes to muscle cells.
8. Baking Soda
Leg cramps due to overstress or physical activity for long hours make the muscle tired. The tired muscle releases lactic acid, making the blood more acidic.
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate acts to resist the changes in PH balance. In short, it works as an antacid buffer and acts against acidity. Thus it gives relief from muscle pain and restores normal contraction.
How to use
- Take one teaspoon of baking soda.
- Dilute it into 1 litre of water.
- Drink it.
9. Nutmeg Oil
Topical essential oil use, such as nutmeg oil, can reduce the painful cramp episode. Nutmeg oil has powerful anti-inflammation and anti-oxidant agents, reducing swelling.
The oil leaves a seductive effect on the affected muscles and helps to relax the hard knots on massaging gently.
- How to use:-
- Take 10 to 15 drops of nutmeg oil and almond oil each.
- Mix well and apply on the cramped location.
10. Hot Or Cold Compress
Compress with ice cubes or warm water on the affected leg can be helpful to heal the pain and stiffness of leg muscles. You can use Epsom salt with water for a warm compress containing magnesium.
Cold compress procedure helps to numb the pain and decrease swelling.
How to use
- Take a tub filled with warm water.
- Add two tablespoons of Epsom salt into it.
- Stir well and soak your leg in the water for half an hour.
Cold Compress: Take ice cubes in compression bags. Lightly press it on the affected area. It will reduce the soreness of the muscle.
How do I prevent leg cramps at night
- Stretching your leg before bedtime may reduce the risk of leg cramps at night. Stretching of calf muscles and hamstring may help you to get flexibility.
- Drink adequate water.
- While sleeping at night, place a pillow under your knees. Don’t sleep, keeping your feet downwards.
- Never sit in one position for a long duration.
So, friends, everything is curable with the help of home remedies. But you must keep in mind that it’s the best time to try them at the beginning of your health problem, as too late may worsen the situation.
Leg cramps are so sudden and painful; it makes people do things that are an odd way to treat any health issue. But somehow, to get relief in such a condition is the only motive, so knowledge how to stop leg cramps immediately home remedies is a must.
Be sure to read: Foods that Cause Leg Cramps at Night