Do you have irregular periods and excessive hair growth? Read about early signs and symptoms of Pcos and what you can do to treat them. Modern lifestyle and changes in food habits are the leading aspects that forced women to face a staggering challenge regarding health issues.
Five out of ten women we meet are suffering from obesity, thyroid, and other gynecological problem, but the most common health problem that affects women differently is polycystic ovary syndrome or PCOS. Lack of physical activities, junk food, and inadequate sleep at night cause it to happen.
Medical researchers have defined it as a lifestyle disease. If we count, we will find many of our relatives and friends are suffering from PCOS, but still, they are pretty indifferent about the way out. Therefore, making women more conscious about the obstacles that PCOs may create and overcoming those problems is our only motive.
So stay with us to know how to handle or prevent this issue at the outset. We hope you will end up with some trouble-free solution.
What is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) ?
Before we know what PCOS is, we must look at the female reproductive system, which executes several functions. The system works to transport the ovum to the fertilization site, and it also produces egg cells. To perform all these physiological works, various female hormones work together. Among all these hormones, LH or luteinizing hormone, the pituitary gland plays a vital role in sexual development in the female.
LH also controls development in a female. LH also controls the menstrual cycle and aids in the ovum released from the ovary. There is another hormone that works effortlessly in the woman’s body to maintain the reproduction procedure.
However, PCOS occurs due to hormone imbalance and creates hurdles in reproduction or pregnancy. Let us see the prime factors about PCOS—
- Polycystic ovary syndrome is a common hormonal disorder that affects young girls and women at a fertile age.
- PCOS is a usual endocrine disorder that affects almost 6 to 10% of women worldwide.
- Women suffering from PCOs have a high risk of developing obstructive sleep apnea because the androgen hormone affects sleep receptors in the brain.
- Not all women having PCOs have cysts on their ovaries.
- Women who have PCOs would experience excess male hormone effects.
Causes of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
PCOS mainly affects women’s ovaries along with reproductive organs that usually make estrogen and progesterone. Both of these hormones are responsible for controlling the menstrual cycle.
The first question that arises in our mind when we hear about PCOs is likely: why? Is there anything wrong? Can we prevent it? But the fact is that medical researchers could not find out any specific cause of this symptom.
PCOs runs in the family. So if your mom or your sibling sisters have PCOs, you are in a higher risk zone. Medical experts say that although it runs through genes, the form or intensity may vary.
Your mom or sister may have suffered a milder form than you. So the pattern may differ/ according to medical studies, rare variants of a gene associated with AHM hormone secreted by follicle cells.
2. Insulin Sensitivity
Insulin sensitivity is a pathological condition that makes the cells unable to respond to insulin. For women suffering from PCOs, insulin resistance is the primary cause, indicating that you are a diabetic or pre-diabetic and your cells could not use insulin properly. This insulin resistance makes your body unable to send sufficient glucose to the cell needed as fuel.
PCOs are deeply linked with low-grade systematic inflammation. It has been noticed that women with PCOs having increased inflammation in their system. Excess inflammation time may lead to higher androgen hormone levels.
Symptoms of PCOs
Though the cause of polycystic ovary syndrome is poorly recognized, the symptoms also have varying effects depending on different factors. Let us check how PCOs affects women in different age group such as—
- When PCOs occur at the age of puberty, it may cause a late start of periods.
- When PCOs occur during adolescence and in an adult girl, it may reduce the frequency of periods and increase the hormonal level and obesity in most cases.
- PCOs in aging women may cause a high level of blood sugar, cholesterol level.
Early Signs and Symptoms of Pcos
The PCOS is a common hormónal problem among women. Learn more about early signs and symptoms of Pcos and Home remedies-
1. Irregular Periods
Unpredictable periods or irregularity in the monthly menstrual cycle is the most common early signs and symptoms of Pcos.
Here irregular means not just being late for 2 or 3 days; instead, it means in-between time span, between two periods may be greater than 35 days, but those who have PCOs may experience eight or fewer periods a year.
2. Primary Amenorrhea
The term used to indicate the absence of menstruation at the age of 15 despite physical growth and other sexual characters. It occurs because excess testosterone may interfere in ovulation.
However, the absence of periods at puberty age may be caused by other physical deficiencies.
3. Excessive Hair Growth
Hair growth on the face and body at an extreme level is one of the early signs and symptoms of pcos. This is known as hirsutism. In this condition, women may develop coarse hair time in a male-like pattern on the chest, back, and upper thigh.
4. Acne or Pimples
During adolescence, acne and pimple quite normal due to an imbalance in the hormone level, but if your acne or pimple continues after 25, it is an early indication of PCOs.
This happens because the ovaries produce more male hormones and stimulate the oil gland to secrete oil in the skin. Hence acne comes out on the face, back, neck, and forehead.
5. Depression and Stress
Depression and stress have a deep relation with a physical issue. Women suffering from PCOs undergo a state of anxiety and depression due to hirsutism. So if you find yourself in stress or depression with other signs of PCOs, take care of your health.
Other than the signs and symptoms of Pcos mentioned above, PCOs comes with the following symptoms—
- Obesity— Due to slow metabolism, weight gain is an early sign of PCOs.
- High blood pressure.
- Changes in skin color.
- Excessive hair loss.
Read also: Uterine fibroids signs and symptoms
Home Remedies for Pcos
1. Coconut oil
nature has provided us with some of its best products, and coconut oil is probably one of them. It needs no introduction as t is naturally blessed and the best fat choice for women suffering from PCOs. It has MCPA, which is easy to digest it can boot up the energy level.
How to use
- You can use coconut oil as your cooking medium.
- Add coconut oil to smoothies and ingest in the morning.
The medicinal property of the turmeric plant has been proven beneficial as far as PCOs are related. Turmeric is a root that belongs to the ginger family, and it has a specific chemical that can reduce PCOs symptoms if applied properly. These polyphenolic compounds are—
All these compounds are collectively known as curcuminoids, and they take an active part in biological action. If you are still in doubt about the use of Turmeric to reduce PCOs symptoms, you must check the following reason why Turmeric is a natural remedy for PCOs.
- Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory compound— Short inflammation is essential to fight pathogens and to repair damages. But chronic inflammation may attack our tissues, and scientists now believe that low-level or chronic inflammation is the cause of various chronic diseases like heart disease, metabolic syndrome, etc. Therefore fight against chronic inflammation is necessary to prevent the disease. Curcumin in Turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory agent, and it helps our body suppress many molecules that take an active role in inflammation.
- Turmeric has a strong medicinal property— The main active agent curcumin and other collectively known as curcuminoids are responsible for their anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and antioxidant properties.
- Curcumin in Turmeric has a powerful antioxidant resource that enables our body to fight free radicles and boost up our antioxidant enzymes.
- Curcumin also improves insulin sensitivity and also supports healthy detoxification.
How to Consume Turmeric for Pcos
- Ingest turmeric milk— Turmeric Milk or golden milk is an effective drink that can help to cure PCOs symptoms. Drink this milk before bedtime at night to get a stress-free mind.
- Take one teaspoonful of turmeric powder.
- Also, take ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder, coconut oil, and ½ inch ginger and honey.
- Add all these ingredients into lukewarm milk and store it well.
- Take it daily.
- Intake turmeric supplement—turmeric supplement could be a good substitute for turmeric milk. You can get it at any renowned medical store.
- Get the benefit of Turmeric as a spice — besides using turmeric drink and supplement; you can add turmeric powder as a spice in your dishes. It will enhance the color of the food as well as helps to overcome PCOs symptoms. You can add turmeric powder to the following recipes.
- Mixed veg soup.
- Egg dishes.
- Use Turmeric as an essential oil— Using turmeric oil with clary sage and ginger oil along with almond oil may give you relief from menstrual cramps.
3. Green Tea
Green tea contains an antioxidant known as catechins. It helps to reduce the hormone level in our body, which is responsible for ovarian cysts. Green tea also helps to control the insulin level. Regular intake of green tea can reduce weight gain due to PCOs.
How to use
- Take 1 teaspoon of green tea.
- Add it to a cup of warm water for 4-6 minutes.
- After brewing the green tea, add honey to it.
- Mix it well
4. Honey and Cinnamon
We all know that PCOs mess up all the hormones in our body, and it leads to obesity. Honey and cinnamon both have an anti-inflammatory property which helps to improve the menstrual cycle and is effective against PCOs.
How to use
- Take 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Mix the two and consume them every day.
5. Fenugreek Seeds
Polycystic ovary syndrome is one of the most common endocrinopathies in women of reproductive age. It leads to various health discord, including irregular periods, hirsutism, insulin disorder, and infertility.
Fenugreek or methi seed is a medicinal herb with anti-diabetic, anti-androgenic properties. All these properties work together to improve glucose level and insulin resistance, two key factors to control PCOs.
How to use
- Take 2 teaspoons of methi.
- Soak it overnight.
- Take a moderate amount in the morning on an empty stomach, one teaspoon before lunch and another before dinner.
- Do this regularly to control PCOs symptoms.
6. Amla Juice
Another best home remedy for polycystic ovary is amla juice. It is an excellent detoxifying and cholesterol-reducing agent. This juice also has anti-inflammatory and antioxidants results, which help restore the hormone imbalance in the body.
How to use
- Half a cup of amla juice.
- 1 cup of normal water.
- Mix the two and drink it daily to get the best result.
Flaxseeds are loaded with tons of fiber. It is also rich in lignin, which helps control the androgen level in both males and females. So basically, it helps to reduce PCOs by reducing the androgen level in the body.
How to use
- Take 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed. You can also buy flax seed powder from the market.
- Mix it with water.
- Consume daily to get the best out of it.
8. Herbs Diet to Cure Pcos Syndrome
On-going medical researches on PCOs, it appears that modified lifestyle and ingesting herbs through daily diet can give more favorable outcomes. Various medicinal herbs have been identified to fulfill this goal, and after the different trials, the herbs have shown some improvement and positive impact on the sufferer. The herbs are—
- Maca root.
- Holy basil.
- Chaste berry.
- Tribulus Terrestris.
- Paeonia lactiflora.
- Cinnamon cassia.
The effectiveness of these herbs is well known as they have antioxidants anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore to treat PCOs, a supplement of these combined herbs has been recognized. Medical experts have performed various clinical tests to support the usefulness of PCOs patients.
The reports show that C-reactive protein, known as the maker of inflammation, presents at a high level in PCOs patients. When it is possible to reduce the CRP automatically, PCOs’ metabolic symptoms began to slow down.
How to use
- All herbs are available in different forms.
- As tablets.
- As powder.
- As a liquid extract.
- You will have to choose your preference.
9. Vitamins and Minerals
Vitamin plays an active part in optimizing hormonal imbalance in PCOs. Maintain a few vitamins B6 and vitamin B12 help to lower the inflammation.
Vitamin D is essential to maintain the proper secretion level of specific reproduction hormones, such as ASHM or anti-Mullerian hormone, follicle, stimulating hormone, etc., so food or supplements containing vitamin could help regulate the metabolic and reproductive process.
Minerals like magnesium us beneficial to maintain blood sugar levels. A dose of 600mg per day is enough to overcome PCOs symptoms.
10. PCOs Diet
Polycystic ovary syndrome is all about female hormone imbalance like estrogen, progesterone and testosterone.
Lack of hormone balance may lead to the development of ovarian cysts. To find out a natural solution to this disorder, a longstanding dietary recommendation has been recommended by medical experts, and it has shown some positive impact too. This diet is known as the low glycemic diet.
A low glycemic diet including mainly carbohydrate type of food which is slow digesting in nature and causes blood sugar level to rise slowly. This diet chart also involves lots of protein and healthy fats.
So women must include the following low glycemic carbohydrates like whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, fruits, starchy vegetables and other unprocessed foods.
So, in the end, I hope that this article on early signs and symptoms of pcos would give you a clear vision of PCOs and the best solution. Women’s health is a matter of concern nowadays and getting the utmost priority from the grassroots level, so women should also make themselves more aware of PCOS symptoms and consult doctors from the beginning to avoid complications.