Are you looking for how to make bitter gourd juice for diabetes? Bitter is always better for a diabetic person. Yes! We will talk about the unique vegetable cum fruits and are believed to be the most bitter. Although it doesn’t belong to the so-called delicious fruit groups, this humble green vegetable hosts so many nutrients like calcium, potassium, zinc, and phosphorus with vitamins A, B, B2, and C. So don’t throw away from your diet only because it is bitter.
Most of the vegetables with bitter taste are loaded with excellent qualities to fight chronic diseases like diabetes. All you can do is know how to make a tasty recipe with bitter gourd and include it in your daily diet.
Keep on reading the article as your solution is here.
What is Bitter gourd
In general terms, we call them fruit; those bear seeds and sweet, whereas vegetable is edible parts of a plant that we take as food. So from a botanical standpoint, bitter gourds are a fruit, but generally, we use them as a vegetable. In India, it is widely known as ‘karela.’
It comes under the family Cucurbitaceous and is widely grown in Asia and Africa. There are many varieties available that are different in shape and taste.
The fruit has an outer texture full of warts, and it is oblong. If we cut it crosswise, a central cavity full of seed and a thin layer of flesh loop-wise is similar to cucumber.
The term diabetes refers to a chronic situation of health when the blood sugar level of our body becomes high, and elevation of blood sugar happens due to two reasons:
- When our body doesn’t produce insulin
- When our body doesn’t respond well to insulin, this situation is called type 2 diabetes.
Therefore, diabetes is a chronic condition of our body that affects our inner capacity to use blood sugar or glucose.
We need to use glucose as it the source of energy, or it works as a fuel of our body, and it comes from the food we eat. Our body needs adequate insulin, a hormone from the pancreas, to get the glucose to enter into the cell from foods to be used as energy.
But in the case of a diabetic patient, the body’s capacity to use or respond to insulin becomes weak. As a result, the metabolism rate of carbohydrates consumed by us becomes abnormal, and the blood glucose level increases.
Most people, including children, tend to avoid bitter gourd because of its taste. But it’s not wise to judge this vegetable by its taste only as this bitter gourd can cure various health problems, including diabetes.
Note– You should monitor your blood sugar levels on a regular basis. When your blood sugar levels are too high, your body may show signs and symptoms of high blood sugar levels.
Health Benefits of Bitter Gourd
- It helps to control blood sugar.
- Control bad cholesterol levels.
- Beneficial for skin and hair.
- Cure liver disorders.
- Improve the immune system.
- Boost up eye function.
- Improve kidney and bladder function.
- It purifies the blood.
Bitter gourd or karela is a popular vegetable because of its nutritional value.
It is enriched with
- Vitamin B, B2, B3, C,
- Zinc, calcium, manganese, phosphorus,
- A high amount of dietary fibers.
- It is rich in iron, and it also contains beta-carotene and potassium.
- It also has a photo compound that has hypoglycaemic properties, which is called charantin.
- Bitter Gourd is also blessed with the plant Insulin Polypeptide-p which can replace the animal insulin in diabetic patients.
Is Bitter Gourd Juice good for Diabetes?
Bitter Gourd juice is the best home remedy for many health issues, among which type 2 diabetes comes as the first name. The presence of a nutritional constituent bitter gourd juice is helpful to overcome type 2 diabetes. Bitter gourd contains an insulin-like compound known as polypeptide P or P insulin, which can naturally lower the blood sugar level.
Scientific studies have shown that this plant-based insulin helps to reduce sugar levels when administered subcutaneously in humans.
As we know, the insulin used to treat type 2 diabetes is obtained from animals, and animal insulin’s side effects are not always healthy.
Therefore to treat diabetes naturally, bitter gourd juice indirectly reduces the necessity of hypoglycaemic drugs, which indulge another health issue at the same time.
In addition to its food value, bitter gourd is a proper herbal remedy for chronic type 2 diabetes. There are at least three active diabetic components, including chromatin, capable of reducing blood glucose levels.
Moreover, a compound found in a bitter gourd called lectin reduces the blood glucose to get concentrated on peripheral tissue.
How to Make Bitter Gourd Juice for Diabetes
Bitter gourd recipe for diabetes
Bitter gourd juice is extracted from the fleshy parts inside the pod, and it is not readily available in the market. So the best way to get the juice is as follows:
Fresh Bitter Gourd juice with Green Apple and Cucumber
- Two big fresh bitter gourds.
- One medium cucumber.
- One medium green apple.
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice.
- Kitchen knife.
- Wash the bitter gourd with regular running water.
- You can reel off the other watery skin, or you can keep it.
- With a knife, cut it vertically into two halves.
- Scoop out the seeds neatly.
- Chopped into small pieces.
- Put all the pieces in a bowl and soak them in salt water for at least 5 minutes.
- Put all the pieces in a grinder and grind it well to extract the juice.
- Strain the juice and keep it apart.
- Unlike bitter gourd, peel off the cucumber and apple.
- Place them in the grinder and smash them to extract the juice. Stain the juice.
- Now, take another glass jar to mix all the juice altogether.
- Add black pepper and salt as per requirement.
- Add lemon juice and stir well.
Now your tasty bitter gourd juice is ready to drink. Please take it to your empty stomach and get the benefits.
ALSO READ: Noni Juice Benefits and Side Effects
Bitter Gourd Juice with Spinach
- Two medium chopped bitter melons.
- ½ cup baby spinach.
- One small cup of grapes
- One teaspoon full lemon juice.
- Black pepper.
- Roasted cumin powder.
- One teaspoonful of Amchur powder.
- Chopped coriander leaves.
- Cut the bitter gourd lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Cut the edible part into pieces and soak it in salt water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash the baby spinach and grapes.
- To make a paste, place all the ingredients in a blender and spin well. Now you will get a thick smoothie.
- You can add drinking water if you want it more liquid.
- Add amchur powder, lemon juice, and salt as per taste and requirements.
- Do Stir it well so that all the ingredients mix up nicely for garnishing. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and roasted cumin powder on the top. It will add some extra flavor too.
So making a glass of healthy and tasty bitter gourd juice is not so tough. But always remember that there is a specific dose diabetic person should follow.
It is recommended that 50-100 ml bitter gourd juice is sufficient as excess intake of bitter gourd juice may indulge low blood sugar levels, which is dangerous.
Another Ways to Include Bitter Gourd into the Daily Diet
If you have no time to make juice, there are simple ways to incorporate bitter gourd into your food.
• Pressures cook the bitter gourd and boil it well. Add a little oil into it and take it with other boiled vegetables.
• Cut the bitter gourd into a round piece and stir-fry in oil.
• Make vegetable soup with bitter gourd and other vegetables like carrot, cabbage, drumsticks, etc.
Therefore, in the end, I would like to say that you will find it relatively easy to make your own tasty bitter gourd juice at home with the recipes.
You are always free to add more taste to it with seasonal fruits. So try these DIY bitter gourd juice recipes and live a healthy life.