It is a most common eye condition that may occur in some point of time in your life. The styes are very sore, affect the aesthetic of the eyes, and make it difficult to cover up.
Besides it also causes a lot of discomfort. How to Get rid of a Stye Overnight? Before we look into that let’s see what is stye, the causes and the remedies.
What is Stye:
A style is a tiny, irritating and disturbing red bump that appears on or under the eyelid. It forms due to infection or blockage in the glands present in the eyelids.
Most commonly it is a bacterial infection, and true that by the renowned bacteria staphylococcus aurous which is quite a common household name. It forms just like a pimple or a blister that you grow on your skin.
Causes of Stye:
On a lighter note stye is a bacterial infection.However the number of conditions can lead to developing the sore bump on the eyelids.
- It can be an acute infection termed as hordeolum
- It can be result of prolonged inflammation, turns a chronic infection called chalazion
Acute infection is quite painful, forms red bumps and likely to be hot when you touch. However it resolved quickly.
To the contrary, the chronic infection is a four-month strong bump that doesn’t make you very much uncomfortable but doesn’t resolve quickly also.
Anecdotally this is one of the most common infections of the eyes which affects the eye structure and makes it difficult to see. The exact cause of bacterial infection that leads to stye is not known.
You can easily find the symptoms of the stye with a few indications.
- Mild irritation and tiny bump when you touch the eyelid
- Watery eyes
- Copious discharge
- Changes in the white part of the eye color
- Light sensitivity
- Hurtful eyes
- Pain in that specific part of the eyelid when you can feel the bump
- The gradual growth of eyelid bump
- Red eyes
Risk Factors of Stye:
In spite of the most common eye infection stye is attached with quite a few risk factors under certain circumstances. If you develop a stye due to chalazion, it increases the risk of repeated occurrence in the future.
- This risk factors multiply with the chronic skin conditions like dermatitis rosacea psoriasis etc
- A few medical conditions like inflammation of eyelids diabetes high lipids etc
- Cosmetic reasons like not removing the makeup properly or
- using old makeup products on a regular basis or
- wearing heavy makeup in spite of eye infection.
Are styes contagious?
Stye is not contagious. Although it is eye infection, it doesn’t spread to other. Only viral infections are contagious. However, it may breakout and spread to the near parts.
How to Get Rid of a Stye Overnight?
Unless it is a chronic condition it is really easy to get rid of stye. Many home remedies come handy to cure stye.
Let us look at the home remedies for Stye and How to Get rid of a Stye Overnight with ease.
1. Warm Compress:
For all types of pain swelling and irritation warm compress can give a soothing effect. The same applies to Stye. You can reduce the discomfort and swelling to a great extent in a few minutes.
- Take a clean piece of cloth / sponge
- Dip in warm water
- Squeeze the water
- Place it on the stye or bump for a few seconds
- Repeat three to four times until you find comfort
[Also Read: How to Cure High Blood Pressure Quickly in 7 Days]
2. Tea Bag Compress:
If you are not comfortable with using a cloth for warm compress you can do it easily with a tea bag. The back so easy to use and also comes with healing benefits. You can choose green tea or black tea packets.
- Brew the tea as you do (immerse the tea bag in a glass of hot water)
- Remove the tea bag from the water and let the extra water drip out.
- Make sure it is warm enough
- Apply the tea bag on your eyes in the affected area
- Tea contains anti-inflammatory properties which can help reducing the swelling around the bump.
3. Cold Compress:
Similar to warm compress you can also apply cold compress on the painful and irritated styes. Cold compress reduces the pain when is swelling and irritation in a few minutes.
- Take ice cube and wrap in a clean cloth and gently apply on eyes, massage around the eyes
- It should of Ice cube you can use anything that is cold like frozen pea bag, frozen cabbage leaves etc
- Alternatively, place a spoon in the freezer for a few minutes and apply the cold spoon on the affected spot
4. Wash with Soap and Water:
Bacterial infection is easily curable, in case if it is an acute infection. You can get rid of stye quickly by using antibacterial soap. Wash the eyes with soap and water. It makes very quick simple and effective remedy.
5. Do not Pop:
It is the common habit that you pop any blister or acne. Just like we have to do few things to get rid of stye you should also not do a few things to aggravate the infection.
Never ever attempt to pop the stye with hands or using any object. It worsens the infection, increases the risk of infection spreading to other parts of the eye and may damage the eye.
6. No to makeup:
It won’t be a big harm if you skip the eye makeup for the few days. At all you’re just trying to help yourself to get rid of this infection quickly.
Wearing make makeup for the blocks the glands and aggravates the infection. Let your eyes stay sans makeup until you get rid of stye.
7. Gentle Eye Massage:
How to Get rid of a Stye Overnight with gentle massage? You can do a little eye massage to improve the blood circulation and gently unclog the glands in the eyes.
The massage can be done with warm compress cold compress or even oil. However, the eyes do not over the massage may further strain the eye.
Massaging the eyes helps to drain the stye naturally without causing any harmful effect.
These are the simple home remedies that can help you get rid of stye in three to four days. The best thing about resorting to home remedy is reducing the pain discomfort and irritation quickly.
[Also Read: Top 10 Bad Habits that Ruin Your Eyesight]
When home remedies are not effective what to do?
Sometimes home remedies are not sufficient to cure this condition fully. In such cases, you might make antibacterial pills to clear the infection. Also you can use an antibiotic ointment to ease away the infection and bumps.
Do not wear contact lenses when you are infected with stye:
Inspire of having recurrent compresses, and other remedies, and when the stye doesn’t improve in one to two weeks, you can visit a doctor immediately.
In addition, if you notice the following signs, see a doctor immediately.
- Size of the bump grows
- When you feel constant eye irritation and pain
- When the stye bleeds
- When you cannot see properly
- When the stye multiples / spreads
A doctor may prescribe powerful antibiotic creams, antibiotic eye drops and/or oral antibiotics to clear the infection.
Sometimes, in case of chronic infection, your doctor may give a steroid shot to reduce the inflammation.
Surgery may be an option when the stye is large and it is an outcome of chronic inflammation, infection, i.e. Chalazion.
In many cases, styes normally heal by it and drain naturally without any intervention. However, there is a risk of recurrence.
Acute infection heals in one to two weeks. In the case of chronic stye, after proper medical treatment, it will take about a month for complete recovery.
The best way to prevent stye is the practice of good hygiene. Proper eye care helps you prevent many eye infections. Also, be careful about using eye cosmetics.
So, friends, we hope that after going through the above How to Get rid of a Stye Overnight will surely help you. So don’t delay to take the benefits of it.