How to Get rid of a Stuffy Nose Fast at Home Naturally
Did you know how to get rid of a stuffy nose fast? Nasal congestion or stuffy nose is one of the most common problems faced by individuals nowadays. The problem occurs mainly due to the acute sinusitis, common cold, pregnancy, thyroid disorder, excessive tobacco smoke, influenza as well as a deviated septum.
Nasal congestion is also quite common in infants, adolescents, children, and adults. It’s one such problem inflicting individuals at least two to three times annually and sometimes even more than just two or three times.
When the blood vessels expand there is a swelling in the mucous membrane which results in the nasal congestion. So if you have suffered from this problem, you will know how painful and frustrating this nasal congestion can be.
But you don’t need to worry for how to clear a stuffy nose fast as there is a large number of natural cures available to provide relief from nasal congestion.
How to Get rid of a Stuffy Nose Fast at home
The most effective among the cures is the natural home remedies which are quite easy and convenient to use. Lets see how to unclog a stuffy nose fast at home-
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is undoubtedly the best remedy to treat a stuffy nose within a few minutes. Apple Cider Vinegar acts as a natural decongestant. This helps in breaking up congested mucous and works wonder in clearing a stuffy nose.
Also, as Apple cider vinegar comes packed with potassium, it helps in drying up a runny nose. It also offers immense benefits to your overall health.
How to use:
- Take 1 cup of warm water and add 2 teaspoons of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar.
- Stir well. Add 1 tbsp. of raw honey to it.
- Mix it well. Drink this mixture for some days regularly to treat nasal congestion or running nose.
2. Nasal Irrigation
How to get rid of a stuffy nose fast with Nasal irrigation? This is highly effective in treating nasal congestion. This saline solution works best in removing the irritant and mucus.[Trusted Source 1]
It instantly clears the nasal passages and offers you instant relief. This remedy seems difficult for many people, but it is highly effective and you can easily use this remedy by following the remedy carefully.
How to prepare the saline solution
- To prepare the saline solution, take 1 teaspoon of salt and mix it with 2 cups of warm distilled water.
How to stop stuffy nose
- Take the Neti pot and fill it with a saline solution. Tilt your head back and take the Neti pot to pour the solution into one of your nostrils.
- Let this solution come out through the other nostril.
- Now repeat the process with the other nostril. Don’t forget to wash the irrigation device (Neti Pot) after every use.
ALSO READ: How to use neti pot for sinus infection
3. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne Pepper is another effective remedy to treat blocked sinuses as well as to treat nasal congestion.
It also contains capsaicin, which is a natural decongestant and provides instant relief from the problem of nasal passages.[Trusted Source 2]
Cayenne pepper comes with a fierce effect that makes your nose free from mucous and allergens and provides instant relief from a blocked nose.
How to use
- Take a ½ teaspoon of cayenne powder and add 1tbsp of honey to it. Mix well and eat this 2-3 times a day.
- Another remedy is to take a cotton ball and dip it in cayenne powder. Now take this cotton swab and carefully insert it into your nose.
- Doing this will promote sneezing and will help you clear the blocked nose. This remedy will give you a little burning sensation, but it will go away soon.
Garlic is known for its antiseptic and therapeutic properties and can also be used to treat nasal congestion.
How to clear a stuffy nose naturally with garlic? It contains many antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial properties that will help you treat infections that cause respiratory as well as congestion in the nose.[Trusted Source 3]
The best thing about using this remedy is that it prevents the overproduction of mucus and boosts the functioning of the immune system.
How to use
- Take 2 to 3 garlic cloves and boil them in a cup of water. You can also mix ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder to it to increase its effectiveness.
- Drink this mixture daily to clear the congestion.
- Another remedy is to take fresh garlic gloves and eat them to get relief from the discomfort of nasal congestion.
- You can also take the help of the several garlic supplements available in the market to treat the problem from the root. But while buying such supplements, you must consult your doctor to get the right one.
ALSO READ: Benefits of putting garlic under pillow
5. Steam Inhalation
This is one such remedy that has been in use since ancient times and has been used by people all over the world.
Being the natural expectorant, it is highly effective in treating irritating tracts of the respiratory system and also works best in clearing congestion.[Trusted Source 4]
How to use
- Take boiling water and add a few drops of essential oil to it. You can use oils like eucalyptus oil as well as peppermint oil and use this mixture to take steam for 5-10 minutes.
- You can also add 1 tbsp of crushed carom seeds to the bowl of boiling water. Inhale this mixture for about 10 minutes. This is the best way to clear a stuffy nose instantly.
- Another best way to get relief from nasal congestion is to inhale steam from a humidifier or take a hot bath as it also helps in relieving congestion.
Other than medicinal properties, Ginger is also loaded with antioxidant properties that prevent the secretion of mucous and provide relief from a blocked nose.[Trusted Source 5]
How to use:
- You can prepare ginger tea and drink it 2-3 times every day when you have congestion. To prepare a tea, boil a cup of water and add 1/2tsp of grated ginger to it. Simmer it for a few minutes.
- Now strain it and add lemon juice and honey. Now sip this drink slowly to gain its benefits.
- You can also chew small pieces of ginger with sprinkled salt on it. Do this several times a day and feel the difference.
7. Vapor Rub
Vicks Vapor rub is one of the most popular and preferred home remedies to treat nasal congestion. It is known for providing instant relief from a blocked nose.
As it contains beneficial ingredients like eucalyptus oil, camphor, menthol, etc, it does wonder in clearing congestion.
Another good thing about this useful remedy is that it is easily available at home and one can also buy it from the nearby medical or general store.
It instantly makes breathing easy and relaxing for a person. This remedy will also help you enjoy sound sleep while clearing the congestion.
How to use:
- How to sleep with a stuffy nose? don’t worry, take an ample amount of vicks vapor rub cream and rub it gently on your throat, chest as well as throat. You can use this remedy before going to bed to help yourself breathe properly.
- You can also use Vicks Vapor rub to take a steam. Take some boiled water and pour it in a bowl. Take a towel and cover your head and put it over the bowl.
- Now close your eyes and take steam slowly for 2 minutes. Take a minute break and do it again. Repeat the process multiple times.
- It is advisable to not use Vicks Vapor rub for children below the age of 2 yrs. Also, don’t use the steam remedy for children below the age of 12 years.
So next time you get nasal congestion and you are thinking about how to how to get rid of a stuffy nose overnight, use this remedy and see what difference it makes to your blocked nose. You will definitely get the instant relief in your stuffy nose.
So, friends, we hope that after going through the above how to get rid of a stuffy nose fast without medicine will surely help you.