Surprising Uses and Benefits of Curry Leaves: If you calm yourself an epicure, then the delicious aroma of curry leaf is not unfamiliar to you. In Indian cuisine, there are various uses of curry leaves, but especially for tempering sambar and Kadi, which is just mouth watering. It is true that good food does not need to be served in a silver dish to taste better; it just needs the excellent flavour that increases our appetite. Needless to say that curry leaves or Kari Patta, whatever we call it worth the credit to make a simple food extra tasty. But do we know that this tiny and shiny leaf has other usefulness as far as health, hair and skin care are concerned? Perhaps no. So to explore more about benefits of eating curry leaves on empty stomach we are trying to discuss in detail the uses and benefits of curry leaves and other additional tips in our article. Be with us to know more about your favourite curry patta.
What are Curry leaves?
Curry leaves are the small, green, oval-shaped, shiny leaf which is obtained from the curry leaf plant. It comes under the family Rutaceae and its scientific name is Murray Koeniggii. The tree is widely found in India and Sri Lanka. The tree goes up to 13-20 ft height and the leaves are pinnate with numerous leaflets. It is available at any time of the year.
Curry Leaves Nutritional Value:
Curry leaves contain different aromatic chemical compounds. Each portion of this tree is useful such as bark, leaf, seeds etc. Cinnamaldehyde and numerous Carbazole alkaloids including vitamin A, B are the major components. Apart from that, there are minerals and amino acids.
How are curry leaves useful? How can we eat it?
There are different types of methods to consume curry leaves in cooking. Other than that it is a well-known component which is useful in making ayurvedic medicines. Therefore we can use curry leaves in a multipurpose way. Let us check the Uses and benefits of curry leaves.
- The most familiar use of fresh curry leaves are to add more flavour to foods like sambar, dal, kadi, stew, soup etc. It is used as four tempering along with mustard seeds and other whole spices at the beginning or at the end of cooking any type of cuisine that belong to southern India and western- coastal India.
- Curry leaves enhance the taste of foods when it combines with garlic, yoghurt, ginger, onion etc. It is edible and it is not necessary to remove it like bay leaves.
- Other than cooking curry leaves have numerous health benefits and beauty application. It can be used as hair musk to enhance softness.
- It is used in making traditional Ayurvedic Medicine due to its anti-inflammatory and anti bacterial properties.
- Curry leaves used directly from the tree. Otherwise, the dried leaves can be used to make curry leaves powder.
10 Surprising Uses and Benefits of Curry Leaves:
1. Helps to Reduce Weight:
Those who want to lose weight, but don’t have much time to go to the gym or workout; curry leaves may solve your problem. You only have to add curry patta in your daily food in any form. It is a well known ayurvedic medicine to burn out deposited fat. Moreover, it can reduce the triglyceride level that helps to manage obesity.
Ways to use curry leaves for weight loss:
- You have to take 10-20 fresh curry leaves.
- Bring them to boil in 2 cups of water.
- Add honey and lemon.
- Stain the water and drink it like a tea in the morning when the stomach is empty.
- This curry leaves concoction will work fast when you take a balanced diet.
2. Control Blood Sugar Level:
Some herbs work very well to control sugar level in blood. Curry Patta is one of them as it has all the potent nutrients that can affect blood sugar level.
Way to use:
- You can either chew in the morning in an empty stomach.
- Curry leaves powder has the same benefits. So you can use one teaspoonful dried curry leaves powder with one glass of water and drink it in the morning.
3. Cure Diarrhoea:
Health disorders like diarrhoea can be treated easily at home with curry leaves to get instant relief. It has carbazole alkaloid that acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and calms down the upset stomach. Kadi Patta is also useful to control the three,”doshas” of our body—Bayu, Pitta and Kapha.
Way to use:
To cure diarrhoea you have to take 5 to 6 fresh curry leaves from a curry leaf plant and smash it to mix up well with buttermilk or yoghurt. You can use one teaspoonful of curry leaves powder. Take it twice a day to get effective result.
4. Helps in Digestion:
Indigestion is a common stomach disorder that we suffer often. This kind of problem can be cured very easily at home with ayurvedic herbs. Curry Patta is also a medicinal plant that is useful to cure such problems. It is carminative and helps to relieve flatulence. Moreover, it has laxative properties that help to get rid of body toxin and in this way; it can balance the”Pitta”.
Use: – To boost up digestion chew fresh curry leaves after every meal.
5. Curry leaves Influence Hair Growth:
Curry leaves can give your hair the desired growth and shine. It is enriched with nutrients like beta-carotene and protein that indulges hair growth and strengthen the hair follicles. The amino acids and antioxidants work to reduce dandruff and other scalp problem.
How to use Curry Leaves for Hair:
A):-To Reduce Dandruff and Strengthen Hair Strands:
- Take fresh curry leaves (10-15).
- Grind it well and extract the juice.
- Boil it with virgin coconut or olive oil.
- Allow it to cool and apply it on the hair and scalp.
- Keep it for 2 hours and use twice a week
- The antibacterial properties of curry leaves and coconut oil helps to reduce dandruff.
B):- Hair Musk with Kadi Patta for Hair Growth:
- Take fresh, green curry patta and grind it with little water to make a smooth paste.
- Add it with yoghurt and apply on the hair like musk.
- Stay with it for 45 minutes and then wash off with shampoo.
6. Helps to Clear Stuffy Nose:
Stuffy nose is awful and there are lots of home remedies to cure this instantly. One of those home remedies is to use curry leaves as this leaf has anti congested and antibacterial.
Way to Use: A):-
- Take 6 to 8 fresh curry leaves.
- Boil them well in two cups of water.
- Reduce the water to one cup and strain it.
- Add honey or lemon and drink like tea.
B):- Take At least ten curry patta from a curry plant.
- Bring it to boil with water for half an hour.
- Inhale the vapour with nostrils.
- The vapour will help to loosen the mucus and helps to make the nose clear.
7. Helps to Reduce Blood Cholesterol:
Small curry leaves can help you to control blood cholesterol level by increasing the good cholesterol. It also has a huge amount of antioxidants that prevent the oxidation of cholesterol. Thus avert cholesterol level from increasing further.
How to Use:
- To maintain blood cholesterol take fresh curry leaves (6-8).
- You can use dried curry leaves powder. (1 Table sp).
- Mix it with one tea sp. Full of Jaggary. Take it before going to bed at night.
[Also Read: Natural Ways to Reduce Bad Cholesterol Within 4 Days]
8. Cure Skin Infection and Enhance Skin Glow:
Skin issues like a skin infection and lack of glow is enough to make us feel low and embarrassed. Those who are suffering from such skin problems, curry leaves can make them happy as it is a good solution for all types of skin problem like skin pigmentation, acne, pimple, the formation of wrinkle etc. The antibacterial agents and antioxidants work together to treat skin rashes and swelling.
a): How to use to Treat Acne and Pimples:
- Take 10 to 15 curry leaves and some water along with a piece of turmeric. Grind them well to form a paste and add two drops of lemon juice.
- Apply the paste on the affected zone on the face.
- Allow it to dry for half an hour and wash off.
- repeat this at least thrice a week.
b): How to use Curry Leaves as Face Mask to get Glowing Skin?
- Take few dried curry leaves and make a paste with rose water in a grinder.
- add honey and lemon juice with it and mix properly.
- Use it on the face and let it dry. After half an hour wash it off.
9. Gives Liver Protection:
Curry leaves are effective to get rid of harmful toxins from the body. Thus it ensures a healthy liver function and gives relief from the oxidative stress if we combine it with vitamin A and vitamin C. The habitual drinker can use curry leaves to ward off oxidative stress.
Way to use:
- The best way to get all the benefits of curry patta is to chew it in fresh and raw condition.
- You can also sauté 10 to 12 curry leaves in a pinch of butter and take it daily with food.
10. Beneficial in Treating Anaemia:
Lack of folic acid and iron is the key factor of anaemia. Curry leaves can be helpful to increase the haemoglobin in blood as it contains folic acid and iron in moderate quantity. Folic acid indulges iron absorption and thus it treats anaemia in a convenient way.
How to use:
To chew raw curry leaves with dates is the perfect way to combat anaemia and iron deficiency.
How to get Curry Leaves at Home?
Curry Patta or Kadi Patta whatever we call it can easily obtain from a curry plant which is a common plant in any vegetable garden. It is easy to grow and all the year round we can pick fresh curry leaves. Apart from that, we can buy it from market and through online in packets. Both dried and fresh curry leaves are available for use in the kitchen. You can also curry leaves powder online.
Therefore, from now onwards uses curry patta in your cooking not only for savoury seasoning foods but also for your health. This pungent flavoured pasta is often sounding similar to curry powder, which are completely different spices. So know well about curry leaves and then you can identify the true aroma of curry leaves.
So, friends, we hope that after going through the above Surprising Uses and Benefits of Curry Leaves will surely help you. So don’t delay to take the benefits of it.