Bitter Melon for Diabetes: Bitter is always better for a diabetic person. Yes! We are going to talk about the unique vegetable cum fruits and are believed to be the most bitter. Although it doesn’t belong to the so-called delicious fruit groups, this humble green vegetable hosts so many nutrients like calcium, potassium, zinc, and phosphorus with vitamins A, B, B2, and C. So don’t throw away from your diet only because it is bitter.
Most of the vegetables with bitter taste are loaded with amazing qualities to fight chronic diseases like diabetes. All you can do is to know the way to make a tasty recipe with bitter gourd and include it in your daily diet.
Keep on reading the article as your solution is here.
Is Bitter Gourd a Fruit or Vegetable?
In general terms, we call them fruit; those bear seeds and sweet in taste, whereas vegetable is edible parts of a plant that we take as food.
So from a botanical standpoint, bitter gourds are a fruit, but generally, we use it as a vegetable. In India, it is widely known as ‘karela’.
It comes under the family Cucurbitaceous and widely grown in Asia and Africa. There are many varieties available that are different in shape and taste.
The fruit has an outer texture full of warts, and it is oblong. If we cut it crosswise, there is a central cavity full of seed and a thin layer of flesh loop-wise it is similar to cucumber.
The term diabetes refers to a chronic situation of health when the blood sugar level of our body becomes high, and elevation of blood sugar happens due to two reasons:
- When our body doesn’t produce insulin
- When our body doesn’t get a response well to insulin, and this situation is called type 2 diabetes.
Therefore, diabetes is a chronic condition of our body which affects our inner capacity to use the blood sugar or glucose.
We need to use glucose as it the source of energy or it works as a fuel of our body, and it comes from the food we eat. Our body needs adequate insulin, which is a hormone from the pancreas to get the glucose to enter into the cell from foods so that it could be used as energy.
But in the case of a diabetic patient the body’s capacity to use or to respond to insulin becomes weaken. As a result, the metabolism rate of carbohydrate consumed by us become abnormal, and glucose level in the blood gets higher.
Most of the people including children tend to avoid bitter gourd because of its taste. But it’s not wise to judge this vegetable by its taste only as this bitter gourd has the potential to cure various health problems including diabetes.
Let us check the Health Benefits of Bitter Gourd:
- It helps to control blood sugar.
- Control bad cholesterol levels.
- Beneficial for skin and hair.
- Cure liver disorders.
- Improve the immune system.
- Boost up eye function.
- Improve kidney and bladder function.
- It purifies the blood.
Bitter gourd or karela is a popular vegetable because of its nutritional value.
It is enriched with
• Vitamin B, B2, B3, C,
• Zinc, calcium, manganese, phosphorus,
• A high amount of dietary fibers.
• It is rich in iron, and it also contains beta-carotene and potassium.
• It also has a photo compound that has hypoglycaemic properties, which is called charantin.
• Bitter Gourd is also blessed with plant Insulin Polypeptide-p which can replace the animal insulin in some cases of diabetic patients.
How Bitter Gourd Juice Help To Control Blood Sugar Level?
Bitter Gourd juice is the best home remedy of many health issues, among which type 2 diabetes comes as the first name. The presence of a nutritional constituent
Bitter gourd juice is helpful to overcome type 2 diabetes. Bitter gourd contains an insulin-like compound which is known as polypeptide P or P insulin which can lower the blood sugar level naturally.
Scientific studies have shown that this plant-based insulin helps to reduce sugar level when administered subcutaneously in humans.
As we are aware that the insulin which is used to treat type 2 diabetes, is obtained from animals and the side effect of animal insulin are not healthy always.
Therefore to treat diabetic naturally bitter gourd juice as it indirectly reduces the necessity of hypoglycaemic drugs which indulge another health issue at the same time.
So in addition to its food value, bitter gourd is a useful herbal remedy for chronic type 2 diabetes. There are at least three active diabetic components including chromatin which is capable of reducing glucose level in blood.
Moreover, there is a compound found in a bitter gourd called lectin that reduces the blood glucose to get concentrated on peripheral tissue.
How to use Bitter Melon for Diabetes:
Tasty DIY Bitter Gourd Recipes:
Bitter Melon for Diabetes: Bitter gourd juice is extracted from the fleshy parts inside the pod, and it is not readily available in the market. So the best way to get the juice is as follows:
1. Fresh Bitter Gourd juice with Green Apple and Cucumber:
- Two big fresh bitter gourds.
- One medium cucumber.
- One medium green apple.
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice.
- Kitchen knife.
• Wash the bitter gourd with regular running water.
• You can reel off the other watery skin, or you can keep it.
• With a knife cut it vertically into two halves.
• Scoop out the seeds neatly.
• Chopped into small pieces.
• Put all the pieces in a bowl and soak it in saltwater for at least 5 minutes.
• Put all the pieces in a grinder and grind it well to extract the juice.
• Strain the juice and keep apart.
• Unlike bitter gourd peel off the cucumber and apple.
• Place them in the grinder and smash it to extract the juice. Stain the juice.
• Now take another glass jar to mix all the juice altogether.
• Add black pepper and salt as per requirement.
• Add lemon juice and stir well.
Now your tasty bitter gourd juice is ready to drink. Take it in your empty stomach and get the benefits.
2) Bitter Gourd Juice with Spinach:
• Two medium chopped bitter melons.
• ½ cup baby spinach.
• One small cup of grapes
• One teaspoon full lemon juice.
• Black pepper.
• Roasted cumin powder.
• One teaspoonful of Amchur powder.
• Chopped coriander leaves.
• Cut the bitter Gourd lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
• Cut the edible part into pieces and soak it in saltwater for 10 to 15 minutes.
• Wash the baby spinach and grapes.
To make a paste place all the ingredients in a blender and spin well. Now you will get a thick smoothie.
• You can add drinking water if you want it more liquid.
• Add amchur powder, lemon juice, and salt as per taste and requirements.
• Do Stir it well so that all the ingredients mix up nicely for garnishing sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and roasted cumin powder on the top. It will add some for extra flavor too.
So making a glass of healthy and tasty bitter gourd juice is not so tough. But always remember that there is a specific dose diabetic person should follow.
It is recommended that 50-100 ml bitter gourd juice is sufficient as excess intake of bitter gourd juice may indulge low blood sugar level, which is dangerous.
ALSO READ: Believe It Or Not! Say Goodbye to Diabetes
Another Ways to Include Bitter Gourd into the Daily Diet:
If you have no time to make juice, there are simple ways to incorporate bitter gourd into your food.
• Pressures cook the bitter gourd and boil it well. Add a little oil into it and take it with other boiled vegetables.
• Cut the bitter gourd into a round piece and stir-fry in oil.
• Make vegetable soup with bitter gourd and other vegetables like carrot, cabbage, drumsticks, etc.
Therefore, in the end, I would like to say that you will find it quite easy to make your own tasty bitter gourd juice at home with the recipes.
You are always free to add more taste to it with seasonal fruits. So try these DIY bitter gourd juice recipes and live a healthy life.