Best Home Remedies For Neck Pain Relief: When one of more fibres of neck muscle or tendon gets stretched and tears down then it lead to pain in neck. It is a kind of an injury and is also known as a pulled muscle. The pain varies depending upon the extent of the injury, size of the tear and the location of the tear. Generally, neck pain heals on its own in two to three days but if the tear is big then it may take weeks to heal. The pain and discomfort caused is severe and interferes with the daily routine
Common Symptoms of Neck Strain
- Pain confined to the neck region. This pain is usually experienced in the back of neck and partially in a nearby region, such as the back of the head, upper back, and/or shoulder.
- The pain is severe and throbbing if the neck is moved in specific direction otherwise this pain is dull and nagging.
- The pain may cause difficulty in sleeping and ache is likely to feel deep in the muscle
- It makes your neck stiff and it pain gets worse with movements.
Causes of neck pain
- Poor posture – Neck muscles and tendons get stretched when the neck is stretched in awkward position, when head it tilted too far for longer time. For hunching over computer for longer time, continuously looking into microscope, holding phone between ear and shoulder without support of hands and one of the most common cause is looking down at a phone screen or other wireless device for too long or too frequently.
- Repetitive motions – There are some motions that are now awkward and neck can easily handle however repeated motion of similiar type may lead to over straining of muscles this further leads to neck pain.
- Lifting heavy weight – There are high chances of stretching neck muscles while lifting heavy objects. A sudden heavy weight may also cause trauma to muscle.
- Collision or fall– Sudden jerk on neck due to accident, while playing sports or vehicles suddenly applying brakes may lead to stretching of neck muscle which may cause pain in neck.
- Performing new activity– Putting any muscle through a new type of activity which is slightly strenuous makes it more susceptible to strain and cause neck pain. For example students who are not used to standing in front of microscope for hours initially feel the pain in neck.
These are some of the common causes of neck pain there are more causes as well and on many occasions exact causes are not know. Neck pain if not very severe can be treated with these home remedies which do not have any side effects. These remedies also provide symptomatic relief.
Best Home Remedies For Neck Pain Relief:
1. Ice Pack Remedy For Neck Pain
Ice is one of the simplest remedies for neck pain. The cold temperature will help reduce inflammation and alleviate pain. A bag of frozen peas also works well.
How to use:
- Put some crushed ice cubes in a plastic bag.
- Wrap the plastic bag in a thin towel.
- Put the ice pack on your neck for not more than 15 minutes at a time.
- Follow this remedy every two to three hours for the first 24 hours.
2. Epsom salt bath Remedy For Neck Pain:
Magnesium is required for proper nerve and enzyme functioning. Our body processes absorbed magnesium better that ingested magnesium. Epsom salt contains magnesium and soaking in Epsom salts gives you loads of benefits. Epsom salt reduces tension and offers your instant relief from pain.
How to use:
- Take 2 table spoons of Epsom salt and mix it with 3 table spoon of sea salt.
- Add a few drops of lavender oil to this mixture.
- Soak your neck area in this mixture for about 30 minutes and get the relaxing experience.
- Repeat this process at least 3 times in a day until your pain subsides
3. Lavender oil Remedy For Neck Pain:
Lavender oil can be used to relieve neck pain. Lavender oil should be gently massaged in the area of neck. This will help in relaxing tense muscles and may help you sleep better. Refreshing fragrance of lavender oil will further help you to relax
- Take a hot bath or shower to relax your sore neck muscles.
- Apply some lavender oil on your neck.
- Gently massage in small circular motions to massage the affected area for 10 minutes.
- Do this atleast once a day
- Continue to do this till the pain subsides
4. Apple cider Vinegar Remedy For Neck Pain:
Apple cider vinegar restores acid-alkaline balance in the body. Its strong and powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory characteristics will help in relieving neck pain quickly
How to use:
- Take half cup of apple cider vinegar with half cup of water
- Take paper napkin and soak it in this mixture
- Place the napkin on the area where pain in high
- Alternatively add two cups of apple cider vinegar to lukewarm bath water.
- Soak neck area in this mixture for atleast 20 min daily
- Continue to do this till you get completely recovered.
5. Warm and cold water Remedy for Neck Pain:
Using hot and cold water is very effective home remedy for reducing neck pain. You can easily do this therapy under the shower in your home. The water should be applied with force on the affected area this will help to reduce pain as well as soreness. Hot water helps in increasing blood circulation in the neck area and cold water will reduce inflammation.
How to use:
- Target the neck area with warm water for three to four minutes in the shower.
- Switch to cold water and target the neck for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Repeat as many times as necessary.
- While doing this therapy ensure that your neck is strain and do not make any neck movements.
6. Ginger Remedy for Neck Pain:
Ginger has property to reduce inflammation and swelling. Ginger’s volatile oils contain the anti-inflammatory agents beta-bisabolene and zingiberine. This herb plays a key role in lowering the levels of the pain-causing prostaglandins
How to use:
- Take an inch of ginger and mash it to make smooth paste
- Now add lemon juice and rock salt to it
- Eat this mixture regularly
- Fresh ginger can also be grated and cooked with sugar syrup till it becomes thick as jelly.
- This can be then refrigerated and consumed during periods. Adding lemon juice to this mixture will add to the taste by increasing its tanginess.
- Also while massaging neck muscles you can also apply ginger paste to the neck area. But do not keep it for long time just five minutes is enough.
7. Garlic Remedy for Neck Pain:
Garlic contains quercetin which is an antioxidant with the potential to fight against inflammation. Garlic can be applied to directly to sore muscles
How to use:
- Take 8 cloves of Garlic and fry them in 60 ml of coconut or sunflower oil.
- Once they turn brown strain the cloves and apply the oil on neck area. The oil should be gently massaged at least for 5 minutes.
- Leave the oil for atleast 3 hours and then wash it off with soap and warm water.
8. Neck Exercises and Massage Remedy for Neck Pain:
Neck exercises and massages help in reducing pain and stiffness of trapezius muscle (kite shaped muscle that runs from the base of the skull and goes more than halfway down the back, as well as out to the shoulders of neck).
How to massage and do exercises:
- With the help of two fingers apply firm and constant pressure for around one minute
- Then with circular motion massage other areas near neck for two minutes.
- You can make use of massager to reach areas that are difficult to reach.
- Rotate your neck in clock wise and antilock wise position slowly. Do stress if the pain persists.
Neck pain is certainly disabling therefore various precaution needs to be taken to avoid neck pain. Exercising regularly and staying active will strengthen your muscles. If you are doing repetitive kind of job then take regular breaks and do stretching exercises. Last but not the least sleep well in right position